Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #7941 
SQUIRT1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove3 View Post
Thanks for the advise! I'll be sure to look into that. I didn't think that heaters were always needed, though...
Yes, they are tropical fish that live in 76-82 F. One day I got home from school, the heater plug somehow got moved and my water was at 65 . I got so freak out, plug the thing back in. My betta turned from bright red to white, i thought he would die but he is a survivor
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #7942 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Thanks for the advise! I'll be sure to look into that. I didn't think that heaters were always needed, though...
Unless you're in a hot climate like Thailand, they're needed. Especially this time of year.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #7943 
crowntaillove3

Thanks for telling me that! I'll look into that right away!
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #7944 
FishyFishy89

I believe most of us use the Hydro Theos and Ehiem Jagers. Expensive, but if you don't want fried or cold fish, they're the best.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #7945 
crowntaillove3

My parents don't think that a heater is needed...my room is a fair amount warmer that the rest of the house, around 75 degrees...I don't have a water thermometer, either, so I don't know how hot the temperature is. bryanacute has nine or ten bettas, and I know that she doesn't use a heater for most of them. I'm not sure weather or not to push it...
Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #7946 
Kithy

It's still pretty open so I might get some smaller silk plants and glue them to rocks in the background but it's making progress. One betta and one mystery snail in a 20gal leaves me with quite a large tank.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #7947 
Kithy

Quote:
My parents don't think that a heater is needed...my room is a fair amount warmer that the rest of the house, around 75 degrees...I don't have a water thermometer, either, so I don't know how hot the temperature is. bryanacute has nine or ten bettas, and I know that she doesn't use a heater for most of them. I'm not sure weather or not to push it...
I think bryana has a fish room (or someone here has a fish room, her name just rings a bell) that is kept about 80 degrees.

I'd definitely suggest getting a cheap thermometer, even a stick on one is better than nothing.

http://www.petco.com/N_24_4294956675...s_Thermometers I have two of the suction cup glass ones and they were great.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #7948 
SQUIRT1216

Your betta would be "ok" for a few days, but in a long run, it won't live long. The thing about water high specific heat is it relatively hard to change the temperature of water without outside help like a heater or a cooler. But if the temperature of water were to dropped, it also hard to raise the temp back up. Touch the side of yor glass, if it feels "warm" then your water temp is ok for now.

But definitely get a thermometer. It's like 3 dollars.
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #7949 
crowntaillove3

I'll try to convince them. They'll at least let me get a thermometer. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #7950 
Kithy

Quote:
I'll try to convince them. They'll at least let me get a thermometer. Thanks for the help!
It's tough with people that don't think that some things are necessary. My husband is like that. "They don't need a heater" "they don't need plants". Eventually he changed his mind.

Sometimes showing a person the information isn't just coming from your bum but actual people who have years and years of research and experience may help.

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, don'tmindmejustatag, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, ihavetoomanybettas, lols, macgyver was here, mochi was here, omgwecanedittags?, tank