Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #1 
sainthogan

What to do with my 3 gallon when my male is upgraded

Ok, I didn't get the 5 gallon tank I was hoping for Christmas, but I did get lots of money, so I'll be buying it soon.
My question is what can I do with the 3 gallon he's in currently? It has a live plant in it, but I'm planning on transplanting it to the new tank since Fizz likes to sleep on it. I'd like to keep more plants in it. Is a 3 gallon big enough for raising snails? Is a 3 gallon ok for a baby betta if I choose to get one? My son thinks we need to get a 3rd Betta (he has the Betta bug worse than I do), but if I do that, my husband will insist I upgrade it to a 5 gallon too (he has a thing about symmetry and has been bugging me since I got my male to get the 5 gallon tank).
So, what do I do with a 3 gallon tank???
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #2 
sandybottom
Reference Team

i use mine for starting bulbs and as a general plant nursery and qt tank. should work fine for a baby betta as long as it's heated.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #3 
sainthogan

It is heated with a small heater. When I get the bigger tank, I'll get a bigger heater and keep the little heater in the smaller tank. I was thinking I would get a snail to live with him, but I can just picture what would happen when the snail tries to take up residence in his pineapple. Fizz will NOT be a happy camper! He got super upset when his plant bulb accidentally ended up in front of the entrance before it sprouted.
I know that I wouldn't be able to put a snail in with my female, she's much too aggressive for a tank mate of any sort. She used to attack her plants if they were in her way!
My son wants snails, so maybe I'll just keep them in the 3 gallon along with some plants.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #4 
Bluewind

With a 3 gal, you should be able to swing 3 mystery snails. You can also wait until one grows up a bit until you put it in with the male betta. If you don't want baby snails, make sure to take out the odd gendered one so your tank will have all boys or girls.

OR you could do something different and add shrimp. Low bioload and funny little characters.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #5 
sandybottom
Reference Team

i have a zebra nerite. my baby veiltail is pretty aggressive,but he eventually left him alone.you will need a higher ph for snails. mine is at 7.5. i feed calcium supplements (tums or cuttle bone). kale is really good for them. if you do want one for your betta tank.try a nerite or other true trapdoor snail. its hard for the betta to get at them.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #6 
sainthogan

PH won't be a problem, mine is 7.6
I'm probably not going to get the new tank until next week, so I have time to think about it. I'm not worried about the male eating the snail, just getting extremely angry if the snail decides to go into his pineapple. He got extremely angry when the plant bulb blocked the entrance, so I can just imagine if something went inside there :/. I'd better just stick to keeping snails or something in the 3 gallon and not try to keep them in with my Bettas.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #7 
Irishdancer

When I bought my first betta, the bowl that the pet store recommended was a half-gallon. Obviously I upgraded as soon as I'd done a little more research (and very much regret not doing more research beforehand), but I kept the half gallon .I've found several uses for it: conditioning water for a partial water change, testing a heater that I thought wasn't working, rinsing gravel, and as a hospital when I bought a fish with SBD who couldn't swim at all and needed very shallow water.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #8 
sandybottom
Reference Team

sainthogan, red river-is that up by devils lake up in the north near canada? sorry off topic.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #9 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
sainthogan, red river-is that up by devils lake up in the north near canada? sorry off topic.
Nope, different Red River. I live in Red River, New Mexico, very close to the Colorado border. We're a little bitty tourist town way up in the mountains.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #10 
sandybottom
Reference Team

oh. geez i mis read nm not mn. lol. you'll have to forgive my dyslexia.