Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #81 
ChibreneyDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Ooh sell the typical plants that should not be in aquariums. But sell them properly like as terrium plants.
LoL, I know, right? I'd never used live plants before, and they were trying to sell me some terrarium plants, playing it off that "Oh, no, these are DEFFINATLY what you wnat in your aquarium!"
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #82 
ChibreneyDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
From what I've been reading, it sounds like you can't send/receive fish to/from the US. Why not? (What prohibits it?) I know there are people in the US who have the necessary licenses to import fish from Thailand, etc. Is there a way for you to become eligible to receive fish from someplace overseas?

Someone needs to be supplying the big chain stores in Canada. Either they're importing fish, or there are some large-scale Canadian breeders. If they're being imported, how did the stores get around the import "block?" If there's a way -- can YOU do it too, or become involved in the process?
I talked a lot with my transshipper, and apparently all it is, is that the fees for shipping live animals is HUGE. So as long as you can pay those annual fees for imports and inspections..you can get the fish. Thats why the big chain stores can afford all those Thai fish.

Although if you get a business license they prefer to buy from you
Old 12-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #83 
Sena Hansler

Shipping is not the problem, it is the transhipping, and the amount of time it takes for a fish to arrive safely at the said destination. Wholesalers and pet stores, don't seem to have a problem considering they actually arrive in trucks made for transporting live animals - VS a shipping company like FedEx, UPS and Canada Post.

Never seen a fish magazine around here.

I will be supporting stores here anyways as a start, putting out brochures... PLUS I will make sure to clean those jars myself BTW, every other day, to ensure my fish stay healthy. I still have to work it out with both stores. Personally by the way it sounds I would much rather work with the family run store than the other store, since they want quantity... Not quality.... While the family run business will be more worth it and plus... The owner loves me ;)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #84 
ChibreneyDragon

You sound like you have the good bones set for an amazing body of work. Will you be uploading pictures? I would love to comment on your album.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #85 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Hope it works out.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #86 
Sena Hansler

I would upload pictures if I had any to show haha :) right now, I think I will focus on... Betta fish, live plants, and maybe one type of live bearer?

I may also sell some art and stuff - to go back to the breeding and stuff. Did you know here in town you must pump out 50+ paintings a YEAR in order to get your art work displayed? It's ridiculous. And demeaning.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #87 
ChibreneyDragon

Holy, seriously? Charleston has the Art Walk, and I know you at least need 20 pieces to show... but they have RULES for that? Like...IN STORE sale?!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #88 
Sena Hansler

It is the art store. I saw some wonderful pieces from a young lady, who wants to get out there in the world. So, asked for her, about placing some art pieces there since they are a part of the art walk as well.

N
O
P
E

50+ a year... Which is 4.17 a month, so one a week. That is expensive. And you have to do that for 2-5 years before getting accepted as a local artist.

-.- So, in my store, I will display art of all kinds. Why not right?

All else fails, and even if i stick to a very small scale fish store, I will actually buy a building to display artists without THAT strict of rules. It's ridiculous. There is no encouragement... Always discouragement...
Old 12-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #89 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Have a 5 gallon tank with a healthy Betta toshow good care. A ten gallon Sorioty to encourage happy gemale Bettas.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #90 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Have a 5 gallon tank with a healthy Betta toshow good care. A ten gallon Sorioty to encourage happy gemale Bettas.
There you go. Choc just came up with ideas for two more 'how to classes' for your customers.

So far, I think we've mentioned:
1) How to create a planted tank
2) How to have a healthy Betta (Betta Care 101)
3) How to set up a sorority

And you can sell the tanks, plants, equipment, supplies, male and female bettas in your store, so your customers can go home with everything they need (including the knowledge on how to do it).
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote