Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #11 
Blue Fish

Okay, first off, the only betta hammocks I've seen have been 5 bucks, far too expensive for a suction cup leaf. Really?

So, for about a dollar, you can get some silk fake plants (just look for the ones about 99 cents at walmart, doesn't matter what color flowers, you're just looking for large, flat leaves), and a peice of ribbon. Fold the leaf in half, sew a peice of wide ribbon to it, and hang it about 2-3 inches from the water surface off the side of your tank (I secure mine with clothes pins). All eight of my bettas have slept in them on occasion. Just swim right in, and they're happy as can be. No wire, no worries, and cheap cheap cheap. And you can make many of them, just however many large, wide, flat leaves your plant happens to have.

Just make sure that the plant doesn't leech dye into the water, soak for a few days to find out.

As for betta logs, plastic cups work just as well. You can get a 4 pack of plastic tumblers (they hold about 4 oz or 120 ml's, think small plastic cups, dishwasher safe) for a dollar or two, and they float right up near the surface. Just turn them on their side, fill them with water, and they float nicely. Again, my guys all love them, and furtively build their bubble nests from inside while keeping their noses out for enemies. ;)

Again, so much cheaper.

One more, and my guys love this more than anything else, is to take a large flat leaf, and float it on top of the water. Sometimes they'll float on their own, sometimes you have to fix them in there to float on the surface, but my guys go under there and sleep/hide/build bubble nests. They're not resting on it, they're hiding underneath, floating along. This seems to make them happier than anything else.

I hope this helps, and maybe saves you some money. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #12 
Xaltd1

My leaf was $2 @ Petco. I'm concerned about anything that isn't specifically for aquariums; hence dyes, etc. from ordinary plastic flowers. I was going to grab some oak leaves that are now down and frozen (sterilized?) for my larger tank. That suction cup is handy to keep the leaf from floating into the filter, IMHO.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #13 
bettaluver14

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
Betta hammocks are great, and so are betta logs. ZooMed makes both products. Bettas like them because they provide a place for them to rest near the surface of the water.

The leaf hammocks can have metal, so remove the metal wire as many people have already pointed out. They are easy to attach to the side of a tank.

Betta logs float at the surface of the water, and have a little opening at the top so the betta can sit inside the log and take breaths.

Both products are great, but my bettas seem to use the betta logs more often than the hammocks.
1. how big are betta logs?
2. so i just get pliers and the wire comes right out? because i already have a leaf bed/hammock and the wire is getting rusty -_-
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #14 
Xaltd1

I just saw a betta log; about 3" across. The leaf is 2".
Old 12-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #15 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
My leaf was $2 @ Petco. I'm concerned about anything that isn't specifically for aquariums; hence dyes, etc. from ordinary plastic flowers. I was going to grab some oak leaves that are now down and frozen (sterilized?) for my larger tank. That suction cup is handy to keep the leaf from floating into the filter, IMHO.
Good point about the non-aquarium plants. I've found that most seem to be safe, don't leech dye, anything like that. BUT, I *always* soak them for a week or two first, and clean them well to make sure that any debris are gone. And watch out for wires, those are a no-go. :)

I was only able to find the leaves at Petsmart, which, at least around here, is the most expensive fish place around...so that's probably why I was finding such crazy prices. :) Sorry, I wasn't trying to say that you'd spent too much on them, I didn't intend to come across that way. :)
My apologies! :)
Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #16 
sareena79

user MollyJean was making and selling some so u might check with her and see if she still is. hers are wire free and come in an assortment of colors
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #17 
Xaltd1

No offence taken! I live in an area where there are more pet stores than grocery stores: 6 Petcos, 2 Petsmarts, 1 Boston Pets, and 2 other independent; all within :30 min. drive. The prices here are competitive by necessity. There is only one Walmart around, and it's tiny compared to what I've seen around the country! If you have lots of bettas, the Walmart solution is best. My local Walmart doesn't have a fish dept. (It DOES have a Petsmart right in front of it!) However, $2 per leaf can add up! I have 1 male and his 1 leaf. I have yet to ask if the females need/like them as well?

Last edited by Xaltd1; 12-28-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #18 
sareena79

contact this user to see if shes still making the hammocks http://www.bettafish.com/member.php?u=15983
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #19 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
No offence taken! I live in an area where there are more pet stores than grocery stores: 6 Petcos, 2 Petsmarts, 1 Boston Pets, and 2 other independent; all within :30 min. drive. The prices here are competitive by necessity. There is only one Walmart around, and it's tiny compared to what I've seen around the country! If you have lots of bettas, the Walmart solution is best. My local Walmart doesn't have a fish dept. (It DOES have a Petsmart right in front of it!) However, $2 per leaf can add up! I have 1 male and his 1 leaf. I have yet to ask if the females need/like them as well?
Ooh, cool! :) I've got one petco, one petsmart, a recently added Pet Supplies Plus (this one is well run, only just a few bettas, but good selection of supplies and geat prices) and a super huge giant walmart...and one, little tiny hole in the wall independent fish store. The independent is definitely the most expensive, but they also carry the highest quality stuff, and are the most knowledgeable...so I do go by from time to time. :)

Apparently East Tennessee is just not such a big place for fishies. I used to have a store that I loved...little independent with great employees who knew what they were talking about, and really good prices. It closed down many years ago, but I still miss it. Oh well. :)
Old 12-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #20 
Xaltd1

There used to be lots of independent specialty fish stores nearby- two great ones were driven out of business by the big stores. Dogs seem to be the obsession around here; fish are the afterthought. I suppose the business is over the internet now, wich is too bad for those of us who don't want to pay $35 to ship a $20 fish!