Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #21 
bryanacute

Beautiful colors, nice split. Go for breedin! You'd have a beautiful outcome!
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #22 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I agree with dramaqueen.
In this section you are looking for fish that will produce quality right off the bat. We do have a regular breeding section as well for pet fish.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #23 
ChibreneyDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I agree with dramaqueen.
In this section you are looking for fish that will produce quality right off the bat. We do have a regular breeding section as well for pet fish.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with what Dramaqueen said, but if someone does not have the money to buy top show quality bettas to breed off the bat, then how are they to go about asking breeders on how to eventually breed to show quality?

Keep in mind, I dont want to offend Basement Bettas Opinion, or anyones.

But if someone can take wilds, and get VT, and then Deltas, and then HM, and breed up to perfection, or take a regular HM with fringing, and eventually breed a unique looking CT, then where can they get this advice?

If it is in the pet betta section, people automatically assume they are not aiming for show standards.
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #24 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Realistically I think it will be much more expensive to start with low quality fish and breed for generations than to spend a little extra on good fish. But maybe that's not true.

I don't think anyone here has started from bad fish and gotten amazing fish.. This takes years and years and years to accomplish, frankly more years than the human lifespan can allow, if we are taking wild types and breeding to half-moon. Look how long it took us to get this far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #25 
BiasedBettas

From reading this post and others in this section... it just seems like BasementBettas is rude to the point of being cocky. Sorry, but that is the truth and everyone here knows it. Even you MODs. If anyone else wrote like that in this forum, they would be reprimanded, but you guys give BB too much leeway to the point of favoritism and even defending how that member is. Yes that person won many awards, but that does not give them the right to bash people, which is what has been happening not only on this post, but others.

Please, treat everyone EQUALLY. This post will most likely get deleted I'm sure.. but someone had to say it.

Sorry.
BiasedBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #26 
crowntaillove3

If you want to breed, go for it! It is your fish, and with some flaws, he is beautiful! Nice colors, but his fins aren't the best. I say who cares! Your decision, and personally, I would be happy to have a betta that beautiful!
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #27 
dramaqueen
Banned

BasementBettas has been reprimanded before. Sometimes the way people post and their wording can come off sounding rude and cocky but BasementBettas is neither of those when you get to know her. She's very knowledgeable and I trust her opinion. If anyone has an issue with the moderators on this forum then I suggest you take it up privately with them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #28 
DiiQue

The mods here are some of the best and hardest working mods on the net. They keep everyone in check.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #29 
ChibreneyDragon

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Realistically I think it will be much more expensive to start with low quality fish and breed for generations than to spend a little extra on good fish. But maybe that's not true.

I don't think anyone here has started from bad fish and gotten amazing fish.. This takes years and years and years to accomplish, frankly more years than the human lifespan can allow, if we are taking wild types and breeding to half-moon. Look how long it took us to get this far.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is an interesting thought, and I almost want to say CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. But from wild to HM would be insane, although the concept of HM hadnt even been thought of. If you have the general idea of the end result, it may only take a few years from VT.

I may start a decisive blog. Go to my LFS, pick out several of their best, and see how long that takes to attain a show quality fish. That may actually fit right in with my study... Cool beans, Bro.

I love the MODs here, and I love the work yall do.
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #30 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibreneyDragon View Post
I agree with what Dramaqueen said, but if someone does not have the money to buy top show quality bettas to breed off the bat, then how are they to go about asking breeders on how to eventually breed to show quality?

Keep in mind, I dont want to offend Basement Bettas Opinion, or anyones.

But if someone can take wilds, and get VT, and then Deltas, and then HM, and breed up to perfection, or take a regular HM with fringing, and eventually breed a unique looking CT, then where can they get this advice?

If it is in the pet betta section, people automatically assume they are not aiming for show standards.
I think there are some good questions in the above post.

Say someone wants to breed show-quality fish. Could this person simply contact someone like BasementBettas, and ask to purchase two quality fish?...

(I ask because I'm more familiar with dogs -- and to get a quality dog, you need to be "known" to the breeders before they will sell you one of their pups. And even if they sell to you, it's likely on a "limited" registration that won't allow you to show the dog yourself. (Then again, dogs don't have spawns of 100+ fish! LOL))

I also like ChibreneyDragon's question about breeding new and unique fish. SOMEONE had to start the progression. So how would a show-quality breeder work to create something new, that would be accepted for showing? After all, when the first HM's were bred, there was no IBC class for them. But someone needed the vision to think "Gee, this looks like a good breeding pair."... Is it just a matter of seeing that judges are giving lots of awards to, say, bettas will fuller fins - and therefore more breeders aim towards getting fuller fins.... And eventually, this leads to a new class for HMs?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote