Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #1 
meganlbetta

Fin Rot?

I just noticed this today, He has white fuzz on his fins. His edges are a bit worn out. I got him in a bigger tank last night. I am not sure how many gallons this one is as its a jar from walmart. It is not heated or filtered yet as I am still saving up for a larger tank. I do 100% changes every four days so the water stays clean.

I do understand I need a heater but for now my fish are right near the pipes for our heating in our apartment and I will have a heated larger split 10 gallon for my two boys. I know the proper temperature will help with his recovery.

My question is though how do I treat fin rot? What is the standard procedure for this problem?

Thanks for your time.

*Note : the two pictures have been edited to try to maximize the look of the fins, I apoligize for the pictures but the camera didnt have a macro setting, very simple camera
Attached Images

meganlbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #2 
meganlbetta

I also forgot to add that his personality has not changed at all. The only thing that is out of place is the two little fins.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #3 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Your water changes seem sufficient, but in order to treat fin rot, it is really necessary to have a heater for him. Warm and clean water is the road or river in this case to healing and a good life. You have 50% of that done which is very good of you, but it would definitely help out if you went the rest of the way. Try to get that heater and tank as soon as possible. :)
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #4 
callistra

You really need to know how much water you are using. How do you know how much water conditioner to use if you don't know how much water you're treating? You can mix this up in empty and gallon water jugs from the grocery store and put conditioner along with the water directly into those so you know how much you're using if there's no way to tell on the container.

Make sure along with the heater you get one of those in tank thermometers. The sticky ones are unreliable and you should never use a heater without a thermometer.

Honestly, I'm not seeing what's wrong with his fins.. sorry if i'm missing it. However white tips are generally indicate of fin regrowth.. It sounds like that's what's happening here. To continue to help with regrowth you can add 1 ml per 1 gallon (again you need to know how much water you're using) of Stress Coat.

I see a little belly pop out on one of the photos it seems.. what and how much are you feeding? Being cold will lead to constipation issues which over time can lead to internal infections.

Last edited by callistra; 12-28-2012 at 12:30 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #5 
meganlbetta

okay, I will find out because I have a half gallon I will use to fill this one up. So if its regrowth I dont have much to worry then, thats good. I think the bigger tank helps. I noticed that too, I am going to fast him once a week because I need him to eat the other food and not just the bloodworms. Thanks so much for the advice
Old 12-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #6 
Taffy1

I have successfully treated mild fin rot with aquarium salt and colloidal silver. In more severe cases, I have also used a half dose of Melafix. In the absence of adequate filtration, I would be hesitant to try the Melafix.

I also second the motion for adding a heater :)
Taffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote