Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 04:36 AM   #1 
moonsand0wls

My Betta has dropsy - euthanasia?

(I posted the thread about the velvet not leaving and the bloated belly: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=123314)

I have just came home and checked on my delta (who was in QT getting fasted for suspected constipation) and he is not doing well - at all.

He has been fasting for four days, and he has pooped. The poop is green. However, the swelling in his stomach has not gone away. It seems to be the same - or maybe even better.

I have also noticed that his gills are now not able to close properly, and also his his scales are raised. In the thread I posted earlier, someone had stated their concern about dropsy - and now I am SURE it is. :(

He is EXTREMELY lethargic, extremely fat, his scales are raised, his poop is green, and I have also noticed that now the tips of his tail and the end of his body have become red. He also has the orange on his head.

Ever since I've first gotten him, I've been having big problems with him (he was a rescue). I have no concluded that he isn't going to be able to recover and I would like to put him out of his misery. I would not like for him to suffer any more than he has to.

So, my question is - how do I euthanize him? Do I do the clove oil in the tank water? Freeze? Flush?

I have never had to do this before.
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #2 
amyteee

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsand0wls View Post
(I posted the thread about the velvet not leaving and the bloated belly: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=123314)

I have just came home and checked on my delta (who was in QT getting fasted for suspected constipation) and he is not doing well - at all.

He has been fasting for four days, and he has pooped. The poop is green. However, the swelling in his stomach has not gone away. It seems to be the same - or maybe even better.

I have also noticed that his gills are now not able to close properly, and also his his scales are raised. In the thread I posted earlier, someone had stated their concern about dropsy - and now I am SURE it is. :(

He is EXTREMELY lethargic, extremely fat, his scales are raised, his poop is green, and I have also noticed that now the tips of his tail and the end of his body have become red. He also has the orange on his head.

Ever since I've first gotten him, I've been having big problems with him (he was a rescue). I have no concluded that he isn't going to be able to recover and I would like to put him out of his misery. I would not like for him to suffer any more than he has to.

So, my question is - how do I euthanize him? Do I do the clove oil in the tank water? Freeze? Flush?

I have never had to do this before.
Clove oil is the most humane way as far as I am aware. If you have any epsom salt though try that before you give up hope. I'm not sure on how you dose it but I'm sure someone else could help you out.
amyteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #3 
moonsand0wls

I have been treating him since I have gotten him - Epsom salt, Tonic salt, Wunder tonic, Malachite green, fasting etc. Nothing seems to be working and I don't want to see him in pain :'(

Also his gills at the bottom have got a black line on them etc and his tummy is really grey.

I think it's too late to treat him.

Thank you though :)
Old 12-29-2012, 04:55 AM   #4 
amyteee

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsand0wls View Post
I have been treating him since I have gotten him - Epsom salt, Tonic salt, Wunder tonic, Malachite green, fasting etc. Nothing seems to be working and I don't want to see him in pain :'(

Also his gills at the bottom have got a black line on them etc and his tummy is really grey.

I think it's too late to treat him.

Thank you though :)
Oh I see, poor boy :( so sorry. Hate to see them go :'( I cried for 3 days when I lost my first boy. You get so attached >.<
Old 12-29-2012, 04:58 AM   #5 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyteee View Post
Oh I see, poor boy :( so sorry. Hate to see them go :'( I cried for 3 days when I lost my first boy. You get so attached >.<
Thank you :)
This really sucks.
I have been having problems with him since I got him - he was a rescued betta.

He just started getting well again and then it all went down hill.

So much hard work just to see it all fail. It sucks, but I don't want him in pain.

I doubt I'm going to find another breeding quality delta here anytime soon :(

Awwww. Are you alright now? >.< </3
Old 12-29-2012, 05:05 AM   #6 
amyteee

Aye. I was kicking myself for not patching up the lid on my tank. He was a jumper and I was out and it was freezing cold in my room and finding a little red hmpk that looks like fish jerky on your desk is a shock to the system lol >_<

I'm lucky I haven't had issues with my other boys, apart from Jiro munching his fins off.

Its a shame there's nothing else you can do to help him, but it will probably be better than him being in pain. :)
Old 12-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #7 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyteee View Post
Aye. I was kicking myself for not patching up the lid on my tank. He was a jumper and I was out and it was freezing cold in my room and finding a little red hmpk that looks like fish jerky on your desk is a shock to the system lol >_<

I'm lucky I haven't had issues with my other boys, apart from Jiro munching his fins off.

Its a shame there's nothing else you can do to help him, but it will probably be better than him being in pain. :)
Oh! Jumpers are horrible. :/
My girl used to jump but she doesn't anymore. Well actually she has only jumped once, but still. >_<
I guess when I euthanize him, she will have a new home :/ sigh..

And I was just preparing to breed him too! Delta aren't very common here!

And awww, I'm lucky I haven't had the tail biting problem.
Though one of my girls has ripped her tail a bit, my fault though I didn't see a slightly sharp part in a container I had made for her to transport from tank to tank... but she is okay! It just looks funny :o

Exactly. I do not want him to be in pain - but he IS going to have to put out for a few more days if I am going to euthanize him. I do not have clove oil on me and I can only get it in the city. I hope he passes before then, though, because it will be better for him than being there in pain :/
Old 12-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #8 
Starfish1

How long has he been sick for with the dropsy? I just lost a beautiful giant plakat girl to dropsy - started with fin rot and she had a really bad reaction to the medication I gave her so I took her off it after 4 days, she was fine at first but then a week later I saw the puffy stomach starting so I figured the bacteria hadn't been killed all the way and moved to her kidneys. When she started to get to where she couldn't swim well anymore she was gone within a day or two. I put epsom salt 1 tsp for 3 gallons (lowered her water in her tank) and did daily water changes to keep her as comfortable as possible. Fortunately with mine she didn't look like she was in too much pain, other than not being able to swim much... she still came over to sit near me the day before and just slept all day the last day.
It really is tough to watch them suffer and feel so helpless, it's been two days and I am still really sad, she was the big personality of the bunch.
Hang in there and sorry to hear about your little guy :(
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #9 
callistra

Freezing and flushing alive are not humane.

Please share photos of the pine coning.

Remind us what medication has been used and for how long? What's he on now? Green poop is quite odd.. have you been feeding him peas?

Usually with this I will do epsoms salts 1 tsp per gallon predissolved and added slowly over the course of an hour, along with a good internal antibiotic. Kanaplex and Maracyn Plus are the only two I've really seen work with much consistency. Others which have potential are furan 2 and to a small degree a source with erythromycin.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #10 
moonsand0wls

I am going to use clove oil. :) It's a sad thing to have to do, but it's for the best.
I have been having problems with him since I got him (he was a rescued betta) and it seems once he gets better he just gets sick again. I have never had that problem with any of my other fish either.

I will try get a picture if I can find a camera, otherwise he looks like the betta like this:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=123324

And I have not feed him for four or so days as I have been fasting him for *suspected bloating*