Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #11 
paigeyates1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Its a good idea to QT all of the females before adding them in the same tank. You also need at least four females... If you only have two right now in the ten gallon, you really need to separate them. One of them is bound to kill or severely injure the other.
Thanks for the advice. Just put the divider in the tank came with.
paigeyates1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #12 
AyalaCookiejar

Once you have at least four females (although five or six would be even better) and you've QTed them to be sure that they are not sick, you can add them all in the ten gallon. You'd need to cup each of them and rearrange the plants and then release them all at the same time. You also need to have a looooot of plants for them to hide in so they cannot see clearly from one end of the tank to the other.

Then, watch them closely. If you have one extremely aggressive girl or one who seems like she is constantly being picked on by the others, it's probably a good idea to have a back up tank. Not all females are going to be suited for sorority life.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #13 
paigeyates1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Once you have at least four females (although five or six would be even better) and you've QTed them to be sure that they are not sick, you can add them all in the ten gallon. You'd need to cup each of them and rearrange the plants and then release them all at the same time. You also need to have a looooot of plants for them to hide in so they cannot see clearly from one end of the tank to the other.

Then, watch them closely. If you have one extremely aggressive girl or one who seems like she is constantly being picked on by the others, it's probably a good idea to have a back up tank. Not all females are going to be suited for sorority life.
Thanks. I heard odd numbers are better. Do you know what pattern a white female with spots is called? I'm pretty sure she is a halfmoon, her fins are shaped like a halfmoons
paigeyates1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

Could be a multicolor or a marble... As for odd numbers... I've never heard about that. Generally, more is better. Four is the minimum, 5 is a little better, and 6 is better yet. I think there may be a few people who would put 7 in a ten gallon... However, I personally would go 5 or 6.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #15 
SpeakNow13

Quote:
Originally Posted by paigeyates1 View Post
I'm new to this site and thought that I'd tell everyone a little bit about my betta fish that I own right now. I only have one betta right now but I'm going back to Walmart today to rescue two more because our Walmart betta are in really bad condition. The other day when I went to get my first betta there was a female in very foggy water and she was dead. I now have a male veiltail that's red with a light red body. Nothing was really wrong with him except he looked really depressed but on the third day of having him he started perking up. I can now see some light blue in his tail. I haven't decided on a name yet. Another one that I plan to get today was white with some blue spots. I have my betta in a 1/2 gallon tank right now. I know that isn't the proper tank for him and I plan to get a bigger one soon. I have ordered a heater for him. I figured a 1/2 gallon is way better then being stuck at Walmart in those nasty cups. I clean his tank everyday and feed him betta min flakes twice a day since he is very skinny and eats pretty much all his food when I do feed him. He doesn't seemed depressed at all and actually seems very happy. He seems very friendly. When I'm around he constantly looks at me and when I feed him he starts swimming around the tank and then he eats. I've owned bettas in the past and have never had any dye on me. I use to have three but gave them to my grandma because at the time I couldn't keep any pets.
Welcome! I like to get bettas from walmart too :) the saddest looking ones that are sometimes sick. I think that anytime you give something a better life than the one it had before it is considered rescuing. I would def get a bigger tank though. Walmart has 5 gallons for super cheap! Also maybe look into getting freeze dried bloodworms or pellets? Hope this helps! Good luck with your new friend!
SpeakNow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I went to a walmart with perfectly healthy Bettas.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, veiltail betta, walmart rescue