Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #11 
Ganymede

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Interesting. It sounds like he did have an infection of some kind. The epsoms are a mild antifungal. Good catch. I would maintain the epsoms so long as you continue to see improvement.
I'll do that then. I also have Pimafix; should I supplement the salts with this?
Ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

Okay, so you're treating him with ES? Good, I recommend Hydor THEO heaters as I have 2 with tanks above 10G and below.. It's adjustable and looks great, too. Pimafix has an ingredient called "tea tree oil" which can coat his labyrinth and suffocate his need for air from the surface. And med with -fix has this so please don't use it. I don't think you need it anyway.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #13 
Ganymede

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Okay, so you're treating him with ES? Good, I recommend Hydor THEO heaters as I have 2 with tanks above 10G and below.. It's adjustable and looks great, too. Pimafix has an ingredient called "tea tree oil" which can coat his labyrinth and suffocate his need for air from the surface. And med with -fix has this so please don't use it. I don't think you need it anyway.
I went out a few days ago and got Aqueon adjustable 50w for the tanks. So far they've been working great (temp in Drift's home tank is now 78*f) and the bettas actually like sleeping on the suction cups.

As for the Pimafix...I bought it for when my very first apple snail had a fungal infection a while back. If I'd known about the oil beforehand i would have never used it in the tank. Thanks for the warning.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #14 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, okay. That's great that it works. Do apple snails even have labyrinth organs? I should've mentioned that it only has bad effects on labyrinth fish..
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #15 
Ganymede

Update on Drift - the fungus has almost completely disappeared from one half of his face and gills, and the other half is rapidly clearing up as well.

No more signs of swim bladder, so he'll be back in his home tank within the next week!

He's been spending his qt time learning how to prank me. The other day he pretended he couldn't swim or breathe and waited until I was in a full-blown panic before getting up, dancing around, and then playing in the airstone bubbles. Not too happy about his new hobby, but at least he's not letting the qt get him down.