Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
Have you considered going to air driven bio sponge filters? I use them in all my 10g and less tanks and it has worked very well. I just season them up in my cycled 35g sorority tank and put them in after a week or two.
Thank you but I really just want to know about HOBs for now. I do like the idea of sponge filters, and I may use them in the future, but for now I am only interested in HOBs :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

So has anyone used the cascade 80 filter? I heard that it has adjustable flow...
Old 12-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

How about an Aquaclear 20 with a sponge around the intake tube? I don't count that as having to baffle because it should probably just be always done for bettas lol...
Old 12-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #14 
pittipuppylove

That was my first filter when I got into fish in general, actually. It's a very good filter, granted that you get one that works as I've heard of some people that just have a heck of a time finding one that isn't faulty. I have one in my 10 gallon divided tank and love it, but I typically do baffle it because the fish that's in the side it's on is a SeD male. Were it my female or plakat, I'd probably have no qualms about removing the baffle (I could probably remove it off the SeD's with no problem as he's become a much stronger swimmer than when I got him, actually, but I'm a bit paranoid).
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #15 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post
That was my first filter when I got into fish in general, actually. It's a very good filter, granted that you get one that works as I've heard of some people that just have a heck of a time finding one that isn't faulty. I have one in my 10 gallon divided tank and love it, but I typically do baffle it because the fish that's in the side it's on is a SeD male. Were it my female or plakat, I'd probably have no qualms about removing the baffle (I could probably remove it off the SeD's with no problem as he's become a much stronger swimmer than when I got him, actually, but I'm a bit paranoid).
How do you baffle it?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #16 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
How do you baffle it?
Just your standard water bottle baffle, nothing fancy. Cheap, easy, readily available materials, and it redirects the water just enough to keep the fish happy.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #17 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post
Just your standard water bottle baffle, nothing fancy. Cheap, easy, readily available materials, and it redirects the water just enough to keep the fish happy.
What kind of media do you like to use?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #18 
callistra

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
How about an Aquaclear 20 with a sponge around the intake tube? I don't count that as having to baffle because it should probably just be always done for bettas lol...
I have an aquaclear 20 in a 10 gallon with a prefilter sponge and a sponge baffle on the outflow.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #19 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I have an aquaclear 20 in a 10 gallon with a prefilter sponge and a sponge baffle on the outflow.
Oh cool! Is your betta able to float around the tank peacefully? Is it a divided tank?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #20 
finnfinnfriend

Do you think maybe putting a flatter piece of sponge over the top of the rest of the media would help to baffle the aquaclear 20?