Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 02:15 AM   #1 
Bsalem05

anyone have a 5gl with no filter?

currently I have two 5gl i'm attempting to cycle.. The 2 fish I want to eventually put in them are in about 3gl critter keepers waiting.

I also have a 2.5 and a 1.5(will upgrade soon.. the guy is still pretty small) which are not filtered and I do not mind doing the water changes that entail a non cycled, non filtered tank.

so my question is.. does anyone have a 5gl non filtered tank and how is it working out?? is it worth it? or should I keep trying to cycle the tank? (i'm not all that patient! lol)

also.. if I do end up taking off the filter how would I go by trying to save the small amount of BB that I did accumulate in the filter cartridge?
Bsalem05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I don't have my 5.5 unfiltered but I would think it'd be the same as having a smaller unfiltered tank. It would however take a little longer for ammonia to build up since its a larger volume of water so if I were to have mine unfiltered I'd do 2 50% water changes per week with a good vacuuming. As for the filter media BB, I wouldn't even try to keep it unless you are planning to put it into another filter.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #3 
Bsalem05

Thanks.. i'm still debating the whole thing..

as for substrates.. how would I go with maintaining it? will I have to take it out and wash every so often??(gravel) my smaller tanks are bare bottom so i was leaning on going that way with the 5gl... I also have some ideas on how to modify silk plants to make it look pretty natural... I did come across "potted" aquatic plants in bare bottom tanks and driftwood with certain plants attached.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #4 
Bsalem05

I might just end up doing this for one of the tanks... and keep on with cycling the other one.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

I would use a vacuum same as I would for a filtered tank whether I had substrate or a bare bottom. To me itd be a pain to have to dump everything in a 5g. I've been considering removing the filter on my 5.5 but I've been thinking of going to a sponge filter.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #6 
Bsalem05

I have the Marina s10 filter with both and the cartridges come with carbon on the top section and ceramic media in the bottom section... (their own compartment) I took out the carbon and stuffed sponge into the cavity left behind because there was a thread on here about carbon becoming toxic after some time... freaked me out! lol

I have the azoo palm filter and I set it up with sponge and ceramic.. I had it on my 2.5gl which I feel was a mistake even tho i baffled the outflow.. so current was not strong. I took it off and currently have it running on a critter keeper till I decide what to do with it.. thinking about using it on a 3gl sometime in the future so was trying to get some BB going in it.

I'm still a novice in most of these procedures and am trying to find the best thing for these beautiful fishies! lol

still got a lot to think and decide on..
Old 12-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

I consider myself a newbie, only been doing it about a year so I'm always learning something new too. I listen to what others say & see what works best for my situation.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #8 
callistra

I have one. I find that if you do 100% water change every 5 days you will never see ammonia show. I've tested over and over and like clockwork day 5 0 ammonia and day 6 sees it show. Definitely would do 100% change weekly at least. As long as you keep up on the water changes and be careful with acclimation this seems like a good situation .This is just a temporary tank though until I'm done cycling my 10g.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #9 
Bsalem05

I'm fine doing water changes .. kind of enjoy it.
I want mine to b a permanent..
So I think the plan I'm going with is making one of my tanks non filtered n barebottom.. ill b going to a fish store tomorrow and will look into some driftwood and plants I can anchor onto it.
I still plan on clycling the second one
Thx for the quick replies! =)
Old 12-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #10 
Fin Fancier

My 5 gallon gets a once weekly water change. My boy has been happy in there for several months with no problem, and that way I don't have to worry about there being a problem with the currents some filters cause.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote