Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #11 
joecool966

Okay i will start cull before the next feed but how do you knew which one to cull because some of them just like sitting on the bottom of the tank and they swim up for air then right by down.
joecool966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

The way I decide who to cull-is by the activity and overall appearance. And this can change based on goals and needs regarding color and fin type, but I always cull the unhealthy, deformed...etc.....

I start with any that look to have buoyancy, clamp fins, deformities. One that seem to be less active or showing abnormal behaviors.

Generally, in the first week or so-I will cull half the fry-then over the next 6 weeks-I may cull by half again. Usually by 6 weeks I will have culled down to about 30-50 fry. Then after 6 weeks I may cull that number by half...it depends on what my goal is for that spawn and/or how many I need to meet an order. But I like to cull hard since I have so many spawns-Plus, in my opinion...quality is more important than quantity.....The Bettas I rear-I want them to be healthy so that the new owner won't have any issues related to breeding/rearing...Its out of my hands once they leave my fish room-but at least I know I am sending out good stock to start with.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #13 
joecool966

I guess that make a lot of sense thanks.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What is the source of your pair.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #15 
GhostFeather

Do they swim in a zig-zag pattern,fast bursts of speed but not swimming normaly?
I just started a thread asking about some of mine.
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #16 
joecool966

Both parents are vt female is white w/red fins and male is clear with clear/gold fins. I have more fry's than i though that looks abnormal. I only culled 9 so far, it's so hard catch them with burst of speed they have.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #17 
joecool966

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Instead of harvesting BBS from the top, you can attach (IF you're using an up side down plastic bottle) an airline tube at the bottom (cap). Install a valve and a connector so you could connect it to an air pump when hatching them and disconnect when you want to harvest. Shine a flashlight near the tube so BBS gathers there then open valve to flush them out.
Or do everything regularly but shine a flashlight at the bottom of the bottle and siphon them out.

Never pour BBS out since egg shells will also be collected. These shells are harmful to the fry.

Swim bladder issues are common when feeding BBS. Since BBS are small, fry will eat as many and as quickly as they can, often then over eating.

Wait until they've digested their food (belly not bloating) and see if they can swim properly. Remove the ones that can't. By now (1 month) you can introduce other foods. See if they still have problems eating other foods.

Good luck.
Well isn't there always egg shells on the bottom of the 2 litter bot?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #18 
joecool966

my fry's @ 5 weeks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnbEMTrt90s
Old 01-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #19 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool966 View Post
Well isn't there always egg shells on the bottom of the 2 litter bot?
It's been quite some time since I last used BBS but as far as I know most egg shells float, one or two might sink and will sit on the floor (seldom if ever). You do not siphon the floor - but a little higher. Same thing with the tube attached to the cap - the tube will stick out a bit thus anything on the floor will not be flushed out. DO NOT flush ALL of the water out.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #20 
joecool966

i use a siphon but there is alot of egg shell on the bottom of the bottle so i siphon near the bottom and catch as much as i can and throw the rest away. If a egg doesn't hatch does it float or sink?