Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #1 
beacon

Seachem prime questions

I heard good things about seachem Prime, so today I bought some. Looking at it, the label says 5ml for 50 gallons. That is so little! How can I even adjust this into a 2.5 gall tank?

Also, is this Prime a good product for a water conditioner? Any opinions?

Thanks so much for any ideas.
beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #2 
registereduser

I use it and like it. Use one or 2 drops per gallon. You could even use a little more and still be OK.

I put some in an old eye drop bottle to apply. Or use an eye dropper.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #3 
babystarz

You can buy tiny bottles of Prime with caps that only let out a drop at a time. You can refill them from a larger bottle when they run out. 2 drops per gallon.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #4 
MrRomero

That would equate to 0.25ml for your 2.5 gallon tank. Try using an oral syringe that has the little markings on it for measuring (called graduations). I pour my conditioner into the bottle cap and draw it up in a clean syringe. You can find them at walmart, walgreens, CVS. Pharmacies will typically carry them as well. Syringes are by far the most accurate compared to dosing caps/cups. Good luck!

Last edited by MrRomero; 12-29-2012 at 03:44 PM.
MrRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #5 
Ouch

Prime is very good, although I prefer Amquel Plus. When using Prime you may get false ammonia readings, even when a tank is fully cycled most people get a 0.25 reading of ammonia when using Prime. If you use a test kit be sure it's one that uses salicylate regents, I know API does. Test before you do the water changes not after. I believe the longer you leave it the more likely you are to get an accurate reading.
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

The only reason you should be getting false readings when using Prime is if you have ammonia present in your tank. Prime converts the ammonia to ammonium which is still going to give you a reading unless you use a test kit that can distinguish between total ammonia and free ammonia.

I use Seachem Prime and have never had any issues with getting false readings.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #7 
Ouch

Yes with a salicylate based test it's possible to get a correct reading. I think most quality kits use salicylate. It's something to keep in mind if you ever get a weird reading. Personally I've had false readings with Prime and Amquel but I know people who haven't.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

I don't believe the API test kit distinguishes between them but I think the Seachem one does. Personally I use a brand called Aquasonic because I have had so many issues with (expired) API ammonia test kits telling me everything is perfect when it hasn't been.

Also to answer the OP's question, I simply purchase a big 500ml bottle of Prime and then use a 1ml syringe from the pharmacy to get the 0.25ml I need.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #9 
Ouch

No it doesn't distinguish between them. It will give you ammonia readings even if you have ammonium. But in a cycled tank neither should be present anyway.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Prime converts chloramine into chlorine and ammonia. It then detoxifies the chlorine and converts the ammonia into ammonium which is what the API test kit reads. After a day or two, your reading should show 0.0ppm. If if stills reads >0.0ppm, you're not totally cycled.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote