Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

Dissolved, right? And the normal dosage is 1-3 teaspoons.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #12 
callistra

I have never needed more than half a teaspoon per gallon. However it would seem a lot of people here use a full tsp per gallon it even more up to 3. Personally I'd start with a lower dose and increase if it doesn't help.. Unless its dropsy then hit it hard. Do you see scales sticking out?

Photos would be helpful
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #13 
BettaNovice

I started him on the epsom salts last night (currently 1tsp per gallon), and so far there's been no poop. He doesn't have scales sticking out, and I looked from both the side and above him. He's still having buoyancy issues. He occasionally rolls over onto his side, and then fights to get himself rightside up. He doesn't seem any worse, however.

Shall I increase the epsom salts, or just wait and watch?
BettaNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #14 
BettaNovice

I might have found a way to get pictures uploaded, so I'm giving it a try.

This first one is of him listing sideways and having trouble staying upright. I took it last night before starting the epsom salts.

Here he is this morning. He's got a bit more color back in him, but still no poop on the tank floor. You can kind of see where his stomach bulges downward by his fins.

The last is of him from the top. I don't see scales sticking out, but I've never dealt with a sick fish before, so he might seem different to you.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #15 
BettaNovice

Callistra and Lebron,

Ares has been on the epsom salts for 48 hours now. The swelling on his abdomen has almost entirely disappeared and he is back to swimming actively around his tank. He still has a little bit of clamped fin syndrome. I haven't seen any poop on the bottom of the tank. Do you think he was constipated, passed it, and re-ate it, or is there another cause for the bloating he had? Also, when do you think it is safe to resume feeding him?

~Ariane
Old 12-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #16 
callistra

I would leave him on the epsoms for 2 weeks. There are other causes for fluid build ups, and I was kind of expecting this result.. or at least hoping for it.. This is very good. I think it would be okay at this point to feed a little bit. I would try feeding a couple NLS pellets in the am and maybe 1 in the pm. If you don't see any more bloat the next day you can increase to maybe 2 and 2 or 3 and 2. After that hopefully you will see some poop. Eventually you can work your way up to 3 and 3 with one fast day a week so long as poop is regular and bloating does not return.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #17 
BettaNovice

Thanks so much! I'll give it a try. Good luck with your bettas as well!