Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #41 
inareverie85

I can understand that. I'm not pointing fingers at the OP, necessarily.

I am more or less agreeing with the sentiments that Sherolyn and a few others have already stated - mainly that this forum is much more friendly to the very new or casual betta keeper and doesn't offer much for the more experienced ones. This is especially true when the sections of the forum are of questionable integrity.

As to the Google comment, my point was more toward educating oneself rather than emphasizing the use of google. Though if you do type in "betta show standards" in Google, the very first result is excellent. :)
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #42 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The OP might have though Show Bettas meant showing your Bettas.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #43 
MSG

Bettas that are entered into "Shows" are on a ENTIRELY different level.

Petstore bettas vs Show Bettas
  • It's like comparing a work horse to a race horse.
  • Or a mixed breed dog to a purebreed show dog.
  • Or instant coffee to freshly roasted artisan coffee.

There's plenty of information out there regarding "Show Quality" bettas. Not many I would consider reliable sources of info because anyone can create a website & claim to be, "The BEST breeder in the WORLD."

The betta enthusiasts who actually participate in these sanctioned betta "shows" dedicate an ENORMOUS amount of time & money to IMPROVE the best features of their breeders.

Have respect for the opinion of someone who's actually PROVEN themselves & take the time to respond to your questions.

I rather get honest answer than being lied to for the sake of being nice.

You can only improve once know where you ACTUALLY stand & what to look out for.
  • Do more research. VERIFY sources of information you come across in your "googling". Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information to base your argements on.
  • It takes thorough KNOWLEDGE of the show standards of each specific breed & a discerning eye to notice the subtle flaws.
The time & dedication that BasementB has invested to improve the species overall is admirable.

I don't mind the bluntness. It's the TRUTH unfiltered.

The way it should be.

Enjoy the rest of the evening & happy new year to all.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #44 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Pet Store Bettas are still great.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #45 
Basement Bettas

Anything I am affiliated with will have plenty of info on the show side of bettas. I have put out my facbook page. Just be a fan and you will get plenty of education. I am part of a new website and forum where the entire purpose is to have everything betta in one place. Most of it is geared to breeding and showing, but we do have articles on just having these fish as pets. And there is a section on wilds that will be developed. Got a nice forum and we hang out on chat many nights. If you want education it is not hard to find. And my work should turn up and most any search.

And it is not difficult to navigate this forum. You land on a page with all kinds of categories. When you choose the one title SHOW you should expect something a bit different. On a poodle or any other "breed" anything forum if you see the title SHOW you know darn well there is going to be a higher standard. Your beloved pet probably will not compete well against any animal bred specifically to a standard with the show ring in mind. I have owned many Afghan hounds of show breeding but faults made them pets. Bred like a King.. but faulty non the less. When one with proven success in the show area gives feedback on the fish it is from the show ring point of view. That is what this section is for. "Great" is in the eye of the beholder. I did not judge against how great that fish would be as a pet but against a measurable standard. Great pets are very different from great show fish. Only one belongs in this section of this forum.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #46 
DiiQue

I don't think anyone disagrees with the ACTUAL assessment of the fish when posted in this specific section. I think people post here because they WANT to get the honest and truthful opinion from those with more knowledge and if lucky, someone of BB's caliber. It's just that it doesn't sit well when you are told "why is this even here, etc., etc" (the rest of the 90% of the reply given).

How are budding breeders or people who are considering of being a breeder get the help of more experienced ones if they are basically told - get out of here.

I enjoy BB's assessments, especially on Facebook. I first take a look at the betta she chose, do an assessment myself and compare notes to see how close (mostly, how wrong I was) when I start reading her critique. I WANT to learn from her and probably everyone else who goes to this section.

Just throwing out an idea - what if a new section was created - BETTA CRITIQUES or something like that. People can post and hopefully the breeders can browse as well when they have time and give their honest input. This way, like was mentioned earlier, the SHOW section can remain just that. =)

Anyways, peace everyone and have a SAFE and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #47 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
The OP might have though Show Bettas meant showing your Bettas.
one must have a show quality betta to show
Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #48 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

This is a new person that might not have known that.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #49 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
I don't think anyone disagrees with the ACTUAL assessment of the fish when posted in this specific section. I think people post here because they WANT to get the honest and truthful opinion from those with more knowledge and if lucky, someone of BB's caliber. It's just that it doesn't sit well when you are told "why is this even here, etc., etc" (the rest of the 90% of the reply given).

How are budding breeders or people who are considering of being a breeder get the help of more experienced ones if they are basically told - get out of here.

I enjoy BB's assessments, especially on Facebook. I first take a look at the betta she chose, do an assessment myself and compare notes to see how close (mostly, how wrong I was) when I start reading her critique. I WANT to learn from her and probably everyone else who goes to this section.

Just throwing out an idea - what if a new section was created - BETTA CRITIQUES or something like that. People can post and hopefully the breeders can browse as well when they have time and give their honest input. This way, like was mentioned earlier, the SHOW section can remain just that. =)

Anyways, peace everyone and have a SAFE and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
problem is most will not be for fish headed for the shows. Only so many pet shop reviews a serious breeder will field before just walking away.

I asked why because I see the fish.. see all the "he's beautiful" posts and no one has a clue. And considering how my reviews were received, we have a bunch that just wants to hear they have a great betta.. and from a pet shop to boot. These types of posts do not belong here. I am logical and like straight lines with all the dots connected. So only wanting warm and fuzzy evaluations do not belong in a section where faults are to be pointed out so improvement can be made in the next generation. Or you can determine if your fish will be worth showing.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #50 
inareverie85

I can sort of understand the confusion.

But then I think about it more, and I sort of don't at the same time.

When someone thinks of showing dogs, cats, or horses, they are immediately aware that there is a distinction between show pets and regular pets. You don't just pick up a pup from the pound and then enter it into a show.

But for fish, I guess, there is no such understanding? ~_~
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote