Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #51 
Basement Bettas

A SERIOUS bugging breeder would not get huffy about being told they had a pet. And they probably would not be here. If all your experience is with pet bettas, this should be an area to show you what else is out there. Other tail types, perfecting form and color. And yes they show fish. Can answer the how's and when's. Copping an attitude about being told you have a pet will not a breeder make. Calling me mean and rude when you just got a hint of truth also does not speak to one being serious about anything other then stirring the pot.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #52 
DiiQue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
A SERIOUS bugging breeder would not get huffy about being told they had a pet. And they probably would not be here. If all your experience is with pet bettas, this should be an area to show you what else is out there. Other tail types, perfecting form and color. And yes they show fish. Can answer the how's and when's. Copping an attitude about being told you have a pet will not a breeder make. Calling me mean and rude when you just got a hint of truth also does not speak to one being serious about anything other then stirring the pot.
I'll probably get slammed (be gentle guys).. but you also have to consider the young audience we have here. I'm not saying age is the factor for everything... heck I was surprised at how young MO is ( I could have sworn he was in his mid-late 20's/30's by reading his posts when I first joined). But a lot of the initial bad reaction is probably a result of the younger crowd not understanding where you are coming from.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #53 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by inareverie85 View Post
I can sort of understand the confusion.

But then I think about it more, and I sort of don't at the same time.

When someone thinks of showing dogs, cats, or horses, they are immediately aware that there is a distinction between show pets and regular pets. You don't just pick up a pup from the pound and then enter it into a show.

But for fish, I guess, there is no such understanding? ~_~
Maybe this forum needs a sticky that explains the purpose of the "Show forum" and provides guidelines regarding what is appropriate for posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
... Just throwing out an idea - what if a new section was created - BETTA CRITIQUES or something like that. People can post and hopefully the breeders can browse as well when they have time and give their honest input. This way, like was mentioned earlier, the SHOW section can remain just that. =) ....
Could people do this in the Betta Pictures forum? Maybe they could just title the thread something like "CT Critique Wanted?"
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #54 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

To me "honest opinion" seems the same..
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:29 AM   #55 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
To me "honest opinion" seems the same..
Posted via Mobile Device
Honest from what eyes? Honest from people that like bettas or a breeder with winning at shows in mind? If you want an HONEST opinion here then you can't gripe about being told the faults of your fish or it is no more than pet quality. How much can I tone down " you have a pet"?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #56 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
I'll probably get slammed (be gentle guys).. but you also have to consider the young audience we have here. I'm not saying age is the factor for everything... heck I was surprised at how young MO is ( I could have sworn he was in his mid-late 20's/30's by reading his posts when I first joined). But a lot of the initial bad reaction is probably a result of the younger crowd not understanding where you are coming from.
This ^^^

I could not care less about beta quality show or pet. I like what I like. BasementBetta was the first to cop attitude, not about the fish but about placement of a post. WTH?
I buy from breeders on this forum and now I have more info as to which breeders I will not be doing business with in the future

Last edited by dramaqueen; 12-30-2012 at 02:46 PM.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #57 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
This ^^^

I could not care less about beta quality show or pet. I like what I like. BasementBetta was the first to cop attitude, not about the fish but about placement of a post. WTF?

I buy from breeders on this forum and now I have more info as to which breeders I will not be doing business with in the future
As I suggested in another post, maybe this forum needs a sticky that explains the purpose of the "Show forum" and provides some guidelines for it.

I have a lot of friends who are dog breeders. They tend to get right to business, and state their opinions straightfowardly and concisely. I think all of them would have had pretty much the same reaction, if asked how a petshop dog compared to the breed standard. (In fact, I can picture many of them saying something like "It doesn't compare. Why are you here?") That doesn't make them bad people. They are, in fact, good people and good breeders. They used to evaluating dogs who are close to the breed standard. So when they see a dog that's so far from what they're used to evaluating, to them, it's in a whole different category. (It's as if you're asking them to compare an apple to an orange, simply because they're both fruit. )
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #58 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree that we need a sticky stating the purpose of the show section. We'll see what we can do.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #59 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
This ^^^

I could not care less about beta quality show or pet. I like what I like. BasementBetta was the first to cop attitude, not about the fish but about placement of a post. WTH?
It was not an attitude. People should have more common sense. I have a lot going on. Besides the fish and their upkeep I have a new site and FB page, my old FB page, my old web site and blog. And I try to pop into other forums and educate. I do not have a lot of time and get right to the point. And seems the OP's are not the gripers either. The education you got with my comments is pet quality fish do not belong in discussion of show fish. If I had an attitude I would have listed EVERY fault in those fish just to prove something. But for what purpose? To really hurt someone? And as was stated.. ANYONE breeding for a show will will give you the same WTF answer when presented with pet quality and asked to measure it against the higher show standard.

If you can care less about the quality or show potential of fish then you don't, or should not, have anything to say in this part of the forum. Got a ton of other places your opinion will be valued. And trust me.. I will not miss your business.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #60 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

There is such thing as honest and nice.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote