Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Avoid moving anything around. He will learn his environment. My friend has a blind betta, who was like that genetically. He could see bright lights and heavy shadows.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #12 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah, he generally reacts to when I turn on the lights in the morning but he obviously can't see what is right in front of him. He runs into decorations, the sides of his tank... He even gets too close to the filter sometimes and then darts away. The filter flow is very, very low but when he's so close to it that he's touching it, he can still feel the water movement sucking him in.

On top of this, my other betta is not doing too well. I'm not sure which one I should be more worried about... But now since I'm mostly sure that my CTs only problem is his vision, I should probably pay a bit more attention to me VT. I've tried meds and Epsom salt with him but it seems like more and more problems keep popping up. It definitely keeps me busy and also definitely is starting to annoy my boyfriend, lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #13 
Taffy1

Ah, so I'm not alone <lol>

I've now got my 3rd blind boy. I feed him in a betta jar, so there is less surface area there. He goes to look around the edges for his food. He's pretty good at finding it. When he's done eating, he goes back into his 5 gal tank.

He knows his environment pretty good now. He'll manage to find his little rock tunnel, and will go and hide there when I muck around with the gravel vac. <lol>

My previous blind fish was a very sick one rescued from the pet store. He wasn't well cared for, I guess - surprise, surprise. When I'd gone in, I mentioned to them that their fish looked to be very sick. They just said yes he's not looking too good; he's available free for anyone who wants him. I brought him home and tried to help him. Set up a 5 gal tank for him, and kept his water nice and clean. He lived for about 2 months; which was longer than I expected, considering how pitiful he looked when I rescued him. I think that one had gone blind from the harsh conditions he lived in at the pet store. <g>
Taffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:56 AM   #14 
veggiegirl

Oh your skewers must be different to ours hey whatever works..... When did you notice that he was blind?
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:03 AM   #15 
veggiegirl

Oh dear...... what seems to be the trouble with your VT? Symptoms? maybe someone can help.......
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #16 
Fabian

You can make your betta feel better.For dragons it's impossible like what veggiegirl said.However,you can breed the dragon in a dark place with a less dragon scaling betta.
For normal ones,reduce the light intensity.Too much lights will make them blind.
Wriggle the food in front of him and they will be attracted to it.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #17 
Myates

I have a blind white PK.. he's always on the move. I have him in half a gallon keeper, as he is more comfortable in that size, bare bottom. I feed him what is called Black Gold and Pro Growth that I had gotten from another breeder as it has the strongest smell to it and it sinks.. he'll skim the bottom of the tank looking for the food.

Love that little guy.. he was at Petco for a month before I broke down and got him. Keeping him in my warming tub with my breeders currently..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #18 
Fabian

Albino bettas are blind too in strong light.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote