Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #11 
rangerserena

No the temp home i just washed out with hot tap water. I got the water sitting in there over night so it adjusts to the rest of the room temp so when i get up in the morning it'll be ready. Ijust gotta run out for the water conditioner, do i HAVE to get the aquarium salt or is that just a general suggestion?

Last edited by rangerserena; 12-30-2012 at 06:47 AM.
rangerserena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:52 AM   #12 
RoMay

Aquarium salt is just a surgestion. I use it to clean my tank (using a 1 gal right now have to do weekly full changes) and decorations. But you do not HAVE to add it.

-edit- guess you can say I add it since I just dump otu the water I don't rinse after I use the aquarium salt. XD Since I have been doing that oddly my moss balls been getting greener. 0_o

Last edited by RoMay; 12-30-2012 at 06:57 AM.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #13 
sandybottom
Reference Team

you're gonna need water conditioner, a liquid test kit, an adjustable heater and good quality food. new life spectrum or omega one fish food.you essentially want one with at least 40% crude protein. it's more expensive ,but well worth it. they start with fish protein not fillers, as most fish food does. aquarium salt along with epsom salt are always good to have on hand for treating illness. i do warn against anything containing tea tree oil, such as bettafix. this will harm the labrynth organ used to breath air at the waters surface. for now, until your tank is set up and cycled. you can have fun figuring out what else to stock the tank with. schools of pygmy catfish or otocinclus will work. however, these fish also need a tank that has been set up for a while. don't rush things. take your time and enjoy the process. patience is a must in fish keeping and will be rewarded. hope some of this helps.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #14 
rangerserena

I have tetrabetta which says crud protein is 43%
Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #15 
sandybottom
Reference Team

what are the first five or six ingredients? if they are grains,i'd look into upgrading. if they are things like krill or fish protein, you're good to go. also,soak your pellets before feeding.it's so much easier on their systems.bettas are prone to bloat. so you want a regular feeding schedule. give two in the am ,two in pm. don't feed 1 day a week to let their digestive system rest. live brine shrimp are really good a few times a week, if you have access to them. they act like a mild laxative and keep them regular.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:17 AM   #16 
rangerserena

Wheat flour,fish meal, wheat gluten, soybean oil, shrimp meal.... doesn't sound like it matches requirments
Old 12-31-2012, 02:48 AM   #17 
LadyVictorian

That is no good, mostly just fillers in that. Try New Life Spectrum that food is AMAZING.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #18 
sandybottom
Reference Team

the first five in nls are:whole arctic krill meat,whole herring meal,whole wheat flour ,algae meal, beta carotene. bunch of vitamins and fruits and veggies. i have young betta and am feeding them nls small fish formula. for some reason they don't carry the nls betta at my store.the crude protein in this is 48 %.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #19 
Juditko

We are new betta people also. The info and help here is amazing. I just put in a petco order this morning for silk plants and some new life spectrum small fish food. If you are close to a petco I'm finding they have some better options than my local Petsmart. Petsmart will price match so over Christmas I picked up a 2.5 Aqueon mini bow kit for $20. (That's the largest tank we can accommodate at present.) I have made a few alterations based on what I read here but overall we are very pleased with it. Fish seems very happy but I think will like it better when I replace plastic plants with silk and get him on the other food. He doesn't like the tetra betta much at all but otherwise seems quite healthy. I have spent way more than I thought but enjoyed it way more than I thought too. We have done several things backwards it seems but it has still worked out so far. We have not sought to put in any other fish and probably won't at this point. I have spent too much to get the water test kit right now (waiting to buy the kit instead of strips). But so far doing fine with committed regular water changes. I suppose a purist would tell me I should have bought a water test kit first and forego the plants and gravel until later but that's not how it worked out when we fell in love with a Walmart betta. I have since learned how fortunate we are as it seems that we got him the first day he came in to the store as he has been relatively healthy. I went back three days later and the unchosen ones were nearly all dead.

So it's been a fun journey but I will say that it seems everyday I've learned something new and that added another item to the shopping list. Fortunately I waited about a week to put in an online order so I got free shipping and also got to narrow down the list after some time of consideration.

You'll see a few debates on the forum that can get a bit vigorous and there's so much info that it can be overwhelming. But as I kept reading I found some flexibility and ways to make it fit what I can realistically do right now. So Fish and kiddo and me are happy. Good experience so far but definitely made better by this forum. I've looked for lots of info on the net but I end up coming back here every time, so I finally jumped in and joined lol!
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #20 
rangerserena

ok so little man, now named 'hush' by my 2 year old, is in his new temporary home. I did. warn it was a bit ghetto but he seems ok with it

http://photo2.walgreens.com/walgreen...AME=walgreens/

and I read if you put a mirror in front their home you can find out how aggressive they are.so I did and when he noticed the 'other fish ' he swan around in front of it a couple times puffing out this little puff or fins under his cheeks but after a couple passes just generally ignored it