Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #11 
BeckyFish97

Thanks for all the replies guys, sounds like that pantyhose gravel vac is a better idea than cupping lol will do that, thanks sena, looks like he's picked a few up now so I'm a lot happier, they're starting to try to swim lol its kind of amusing watching them zip rorund then randomly fall :D
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #12 
BeckyFish97

Minor heart attack this morning when I looked into the baby tank and thought Boris had eaten his babies since none were in the nest-turns out daddy was having a nice little nap while the babies were feasting on microworms-I honestly thought I'd lost them all!!!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

that happens!! My male moved the eggs so often I thought there was none left since I didn't know where he put them
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #14 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Congrats. Hope they all make it.
Have fun raising them.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #15 
BeckyFish97

Thanks guys, today has been a day of mixed emotions-I'm so happy all my babies are doing so well, but sadly I also had to put my red tailed shark boy to sleep :( He lived in a tank on his own with a few corycats, they all got along so well but yesterday when I went to check on him he was struggling to breathe and was covered in some disease :( its strange because a few hours before I had checked on them all and he seemed like normal, but I put a treatment in to give him a chance of survival, woke up this morning and his swimbladder was gone, I had him for 5 years since I first got my tank so letting go was extremely hard for me :( I decided I'm going to name one of my babies after him though!!!Circle of life!!! R.I.P my beautiful boy shadow
Old 12-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #16 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Sorry for your loss.

But I'm glad fry are doing great.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #17 
BeckyFish97

Thanks Indjo good news, daddy is coming out today, for some reason my babies took forever to learn how to swim :/ not sure what happened also I lost quite a few and Ikea nownother sure exactly how many I have left :/ finding it impossible to count the little beggars but apart from that all is looking good!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #18 
Myates

I wouldn't cup the fry.. too much of a shock to them.. as mentioned before, airline tubing or a turkey baster is your best bet.. make sure any new water is the exact same temp as the water in your tank.. which reminds me, I would really really suggest placing your heater into the water.. it's a submersible one and it being half out like that will cause it to explode... highly recommend submersing it asap.

Sorry for your loss...

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #19 
BeckyFish97

Well this update has been a long time coming, 8 weeks old tomorrow, im run off my feet with them all, last count was 15 babies, 10 doubletail and 5 singletail. I cant believe my luck, I didnt expect any dt in this spawn and I have more dt thn st, all of them I am happy to say are now developing extending rays on their fins which I am guessing is their dad's ct genes coming out in them. One thing I have noticed is they havent grown at a very good rate, where some peoples babies are full sized at 12 weeks I think mine are looking at 16weeks to be full size which is one thing im a little dissapointed with but apart from that I havent had to cull any as most deformed babies died within the first week others I had to watch over and they were released into the fry tank when they were strong enough. Still working out gender of most, one is very clearly a boy, he is the biggest single tail and since jarring has gained a gorgeous blue colour!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

Can you post pics of the babies? It sounds like they're doing well.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote