Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #11 
LadyVictorian

what about zebra danios? I know they are a major no with male but with a female would they be alright?

Also female guppies? Someone said male guppies wouldn't be an issue with females but I think with such long beautiful tails even a female may pick at them so would female guppies and a female betta do well together? I was also thinking perhaps ramshorn snails since they are pretty but my mystery snail is pretty big and i think that may be a problem from smaller ramshorn snails. He's also a pig too and eats a LOT.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Male guppies may work Zebra Danios are for 20 gallons.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #13 
LadyVictorian

for tetra's or guppies 5-6 would be okay for a 10 gallon with a snail and planted right? I may not get more fish until my plants are fuller and everyone has better hiding spaces when fights break out. So far Nix is proving she is a peaceful betta like Aquarius. She has left the snail alone aside from one investigative little nudge but there was no bitting. She then decided the snail was boring and her little Asian hut was more exiting and the java fern was more fun to try and swim through the roots....so she could get stuck and freak me out. T.T
Old 12-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would try 3. You could fit 5-6 though. But I would not reccomend female Guppies.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #15 
LadyVictorian

males then? Without female guppies (even if there is a female fish in the tank) should the males leave each other alone or will they fight over the female betta simply because there is a female within the tank? I hear if guppy males outnumber females too much they will fight so even without female guppies in the tank will they fight over the presence of a female fish no matter breed? Again their fins are so beautiful and delicate I would hate to have them rip each other apart.

Also with tetra's if I go that route I will need at least 5 correct? Can you gender them? If it's too hard what is the likelihood of me having to control tetra population in a well planted tank? Will I have babies I have to cull? Magical populating tetra's who over run the tank? Or is their fecundity pretty low in captivity?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have more males than females. But females are growing in. I would doubt the males fighting. I have seen guppy fights. They are not even worth fearing. It depends on the Tetra. Neons are pretty hard to breed. 5 will work.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #17 
LadyVictorian

Okay good to both, I am at a crossroads now xD guppies alone are beautiful fish but tetra's when they school are beautiful. I guess it comes to if a school of 5 would be as impressive as my friends 100 gallon tank with his school of 100 which move so beautifully. Minus having a smaller tank the guppies may be a better choice look wise now I just need to figure out which would get along more with a betta, granted it will be by then a well planted tank.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It would be safest to put your female in a floating box. Add the fish in and see how she reacts. Schooling is a predator defense.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #19 
LadyVictorian

I know of that, the fish move together so individuals can not be picked from the group but it makes it no less beautiful when they move in perfect unison making nothing but a mass of shimmer through water. It's an extraordinary sight if ever you get the opertunity to actually see a large school. Unfortunately most people never will.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #20 
pittipuppylove

Personally, I'd probably go with the guppies based on my belief that tetras are active enough fish that they should have a tank that's at least 24" long (I know that many people on this forum disagree with this, but that's how I feel so please refrain from trying to tell me to think otherwise). But it's your tank and you're going to do what you decide is best under your circumstances
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote