Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #11 
Sparrowhawk

Hmm, I don't know how appropriate ranting about personal stuff is here, but... Over the last few months I've gained quite a lot of weight. Well, more accurately, since I stopped taking dance classes (I used to do Broadway Jazz, Swing and Ballroom once upon a time) I've slowly stacked on the kilos. I did buy some skates to get some exercise while simultaneously learning something (I simply cannot stick to a regime where I don't learn anything, it drives me nuts!) but my back's been way too bad to risk injuring myself further lately. I've resolved to start playing silly Kinect games, and possibly enlisting my partner's help in some other exercise, even though he says he prefers my butt being big, haha. I know I've brought the weight gain on myself, but it's still depressing not fitting into my nice clothes... Even if those clothes were only worn when I went clubbing, which doesn't happen anymore.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #12 
Sparrowhawk

Le boy and I finally got the bottom of the bookcase sorted so that the shelf above it will have plenty of support. All systems go for Falkor's tank upgrade, woot! Unfortunately can't do it tonight as it's 11:10pm now, and the neighbours would have a fit if we did any more noisy stuff tonight, but tomorrow our boy will have double the space he has now! Hooray!

Side-note: I don't scare easy with horror of the gore variety, and am an avid "video nasty" fan. But paranormal/creepy/psychological horror really gets me when it's actually done well. Especially written, it affects me much more than film does... And it's just like me to become obsessed with reading well-written horror, so much so that I'm still reading it at almost midnight... Oh well, my partner always wants more affection, he's gonna have a hard time peeling me off him once I'm done reading, I'll be scared silly! Haha!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #13 
Sparrowhawk

Sigh, another day of hard work, still not complete. It's stinking hot here, with the forecast being even worse for tomorrow. The boyfriend had to go shopping in this heat today, and after his return had to fix our washing machine. We also finally did the tank upgrade for Falkor. Finally! It had been in the works for over a week, and now it's done.

I can't help but think I should have put a background on it though... With all the extra space, it looks so bare. Doesn't help that when Feyd and Weehawk were given to us, I had to populate their tanks with some stuff from Falkor's. I was hoping the big order of silk plants I'd done would arrive today, along with LED lighting for all three tanks, but unfortunately it looks like they won't be here till tomorrow at the earliest, and hopefully early next week at the latest.

Falkor seems to be a lot more calm than he was in the 8L. He's still active and playful, but a lot less hyperactive. Still attacking food with a vengeance, so no change aside from being less frenzied. I'm taking this as a good sign that the move was a success. Hopefully the extra space will be the end of the tail-biting, touch wood!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #14 
Sparrowhawk

Hmph. So I tried putting the lovely background that came with the new tank up for him, and he doesn't like it. Not one bit. Wouldn't stop flaring at it. Such a sooky-la-la. I'll have to work something out, or he'll have to get used to the big mean nature scene, one or the other. *eyeroll*
Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #15 
Sparrowhawk

Excited about everyone finally having a decent tank, I decided to order more stuff to make them all less bare. Four more live plants have just been ordered, and I'll pick up some water sprite to float when I next go to Aqueus for some tasty tasty brine shrimp for my little guys to nom on. ^.^

I do have water sprite floating in everyone's tanks at the moment, just not much. I stupidly split Falkor's bunch into three to try and give everyone an equal share but it's not doing so well now. Not having a great light supply until that package arrives isn't doing it any favours either. Oh well, once it's all done I can rest easy.

It's always a good thing to have things going to plan... And to have a clean and organised looking bedroom!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #16 
Sparrowhawk

The LED lighting for all three tanks arrived today! Unfortunately only one had an AU plug, so I need to get converters for the others, but at least Falkor has light in his brand new 15L tank, and the others can deal with their desk lamp until it's not so hot outside and we can go shopping for the converters. The new lights are pretty awesome though. At first I was concerned that they were too bright for the small tanks, but then I noticed that they're dimmable. Awesomeness!

Falkor absolutely hates his new background. It's not all black, it's just got a bunch of foliage on it, and I think it looks rather pretty, but apparently it's unacceptable. He has had issues like this with backgrounds before that have calmed down in a few days, so I'm just watching and waiting for now. He's not doing the darting flare that he does when a mirror is held up to him (he's afraid of himself) so I'm just watching to see if he seems stressed... I do need a background on the tank though, because I need to store spare fishy equipment on the shelf behind him... Perhaps I'll be able to work something out that he actually approves of...
Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 AM   #17 
Sparrowhawk

Another day of 100% water changes... Did the other two boys today, as we just didn't have the energy last night after doing Falkor's tank upgrade. I'm very much looking forward to getting some more live plants and decreasing the water change workload a little, my back will love me for it! Especially since if I follow OFL's water change guide, with more plants I shouldn't be doing 100% changes with plants. Unfortunately due to what seems to be a mold outbreak (from the threads I found that had people with the same problem) in Feyd and Weehawk's tanks, I'll need to keep doing those 100% changes until it's completely gone, and probably won't want to introduce new plants to them until then. Looks like Falkor's old tank is going to get another round of use sooner than expected! Its new role: housing new plants. Hehe. I know I should QT them anyway, so now I have a container for doing so!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #18 
Sparrowhawk

UGH! My arthritis is really giving me hell today (and yesterday). Sudden changes in temperature, or extremes in temperature, make even the simplest of tasks almost impossible... If you'd asked me five years ago, I'd never have guessed that I'd be almost crippled in hot or cold weather before I hit 25, or that it would have started at 20. Ah well, all I can do is continue my stretches, and do the best I can.

It did make yesterday's water changes hellish for me though. Normally I can carry the buckets of water in and out of my room without too much issue, only a manageable amount of pain, but yesterday it was like asking me to carry another person... I could barely do it. It was frustrating more than anything, because as it's got worse, I feel more and more determined to just get things done, because I'm not ready to stop doing things myself.

Anyway, the cool change has come, and despite it wreaking more havoc with my back pain, it is blissful to not feel like I'm even sweating from the eyeballs. I'm sure my boys are happy too. After yesterday I have resolved to keep a bottle of pre-treated water in the fridge in case of stupid-hot days like yesterday, to keep the boys at a good temperature. They're all doing fine, as their temperature never reached the upper limit of what is considered safe, but I was very worried for a time.

I think I'll take some photos of Falkor today. I haven't taken any of him since his tail-biting incident and I feel a little bad for it. Part of it may have been that I felt so bad for him, and felt guilty for some stupid reason. I know I couldn't have foreseen it, because I'm still not sure of the cause, but I still feel at fault that my baby has mutilated himself, y'know?
Old 01-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #19 
Sparrowhawk

Wooooo!! *happydance* The boyfriend brought home adaptors for the LED lights with the incorrect plugs, and now all three of our tanks have awesome lighting that won't heat the water! Awwww yeahhhh!! They look pretty brilliant too.

Now I'm really looking forward to surprising my father when he visits tomorrow. I haven't told him that the boy's family gave us two fish for Christmas, because I know he'll go all gooey over them when he sees them. It's hilarious, he's a bit of a prick normally, but as soon as animals are in the picture he's the biggest softie ever, haha. When my cat Nala was still alive, he could be angry as hell, but if she walked up to him he'd start cooing at her and grinning. And when he met Falkor, it was hilarious, this big old fat guy standing over a tiny tank with a tinier fish, all goo-goo. XD

He also wants to start a community tank once his bird cages are finished and populated, so I'll take the opportunity to tell him about what he needs to consider when he actually shuts up -- looking at my fish ought to make him shush for a good few minutes, heh.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 AM   #20 
Sparrowhawk

Oh man! I once considered myself tech-savvy, but not so much anymore. Just when I'm losing touch completely with most things (aside from gaming specs, but that doesn't count, all PC gamers know that stuff) the boyfriend brings home a new router. Everything works except our ISP's website, and Facebook. Many hours of headaches and cigarettes later, while accessing FB from my phone to ask opinions, a friend gives me a magical number to change from the default. BAM! Everything's working. Man, I must be getting old to not understand the first bit about this stuff...