Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #11 
LadyVictorian

Rabbits only smell if you never clean the cage enough. My rabbits always smelled like cats, slightly dusty like they were sitting on the shelf too long. I do miss having a bun bun. Some day I want another boy (neutered) who can live int eh house. Growing up I always had rabbits but my parents were old fashioned and kept them in outside hutches then during winter kept them in a heated garaged hutch. They were not very people friendly either because they only ever had contact when I put them in their outside pen to munch grass. When I get another bunny I want to get it young from a breeder and litter train it. My rats are currently litter trained and it's great. But I don't think rabbits litter train as easy as rats, nor obey the rules of potty like rats do. My rats never even have small accidents. They just dart full speed back to their cage and jump onto the litterbox xD
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #12 
aemaki09

I used to breed and show holland lops, dutch, and mini-rex. To discourage them from biting you just smack them like you would a dog. NOT as hard as a dog, but you let them know that its a big "no-no" for them to do.

AS for the mini-rex, It wouldnt surprise me if she is pregnant. It's actually pretty likely. But there isnt much of a behaviour change in rabbits when they are pregnant vs. not. I think she's just getting used to her new home. When she starts pulling hair from her belly to make a nest is when you know she's about due for them...Within a day or so actually. babies are probably the cutest ugly things ever!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #13 
Skyewillow

Some rabbits DO smell, regardless of a clean cage or not. They have musk glands by the base of their tails. And surprisingly enough, my English Lop doe is the stinkiest of my entire herd. And I mean STINKY! Also, all of my bucks have to stay outside, because I'm allergic to the musk. And some just have stinky pee, no matter what you do. LOL

I agree with correction when he nibbles, I redirect the head and make an ugly noise, and that usually works with mine (they're too lazy to be persistent). You can offer clean (non-sprayed) twigs for chewing, avoid fruits that have a pit or stone, or cedar (which causes respiratory infections in small animals), willow should be given in strict moderation (it contains the stuff that Asprin is made of).

When giving apples, do not give seeds, they contain cyanide. The jury is still out on citrus, I've given it to mine without issue.

Good luck with the super cute buns!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #14 
Shirleythebetta

Mine is still an adolescent but I keep all my critters really clean. Thank you kinetic for the compliments. I fell in love with him as soon as I saw him.

And his name is actually pretty horrible but ironic at the same time. My husband used to be a rabbit hunter when he was a kid so he named him Winchester..... anyone spot the irony? I know kinetic can. This is why I named him winny. He is doing great though amd so is the other one my in laws own. For everything to start including the bunny was only eighty four dollars. Thankfully I have a vet who is really cheap and great. He only charges fifty to neuter male dogs females just a little more. Only thirty five for cats. So winny won't cost much. He gave my recued dog free wormer and I was able to bring him in as an emergency exam for nothing too. He is mostly a farm vet so he doesn't charge much for pets.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #15 
Skyewillow

Sounds like you're off to a great start! And his name sounds like your hubby has a twisted sense of humor like I have ;)

I bet Winny is glad he landed in a home like yours (morbid humor aside). He's lucky to have a momma who wants to learn proper husbandry! A lot of people still treat them like they're disposable. Even the breeders that I've dealt with.
(Not aemaki though)
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #16 
Shirleythebetta

I don't have it in me to treat anything living as disposable. I get upset if a plant dies. I don't see the point of doing anything if you don't put a hundred percent heart into it. I thank you for your compliments. Its important for me to know if I'm doing it right.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #17 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
I used to breed and show holland lops, dutch, and mini-rex. To discourage them from biting you just smack them like you would a dog. NOT as hard as a dog, but you let them know that its a big "no-no" for them to do.

AS for the mini-rex, It wouldnt surprise me if she is pregnant. It's actually pretty likely. But there isnt much of a behaviour change in rabbits when they are pregnant vs. not. I think she's just getting used to her new home. When she starts pulling hair from her belly to make a nest is when you know she's about due for them...Within a day or so actually. babies are probably the cutest ugly things ever!
See I was wondering if it was pregnancy or the new home. She was in the same pen with my male. But on the other hand when I went in there none of the rabbits had any food bowls so maybe she is catching up on nourishment? They both felt like a small sack of bones at first.