Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #11 
btook

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
You can see fluid build up. It's more than constipation. When you see fluid like that and it grows despite not feeding, it's time for a good internal antibiotic now. Be looking for Kanaplex by Seachem or Maracyn Plus (not to be confused with Maracyn or Maracyn II).

So he's been on 3 tsp per Gallon epsoms since the 27th? So that means in his 2.5g you're putting 7.5 tsp of epsoms? Continue this. I'd be doing 100% water changes every other day too, along with the redosing of meds and epsoms. I expect this to take 2 weeks to complete, but you should start seeing some good results in a few days..
OK, I'll order the meds now... wish my local pet stores carried these meds, but they don't! Of course, a lot of the time the meds they DO carry are expired anyway...

Yes, that's the epsom routine I've been following. I'm assuming when I start the meds he should be in a seperate hospital tank? I'm guessing these meds won't be good for plants.

Thanks again for your help!
btook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #12 
callistra

The epsom salts are like plant fertilizers, but I'd do the antibiotics without plants.

Make sure whatever you move her to can be kept warm and do the extra water changes in there too. Good luck! Let us know how it goes in a few days..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #13 
Lindo

How is he doing???
Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #14 
btook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindo View Post
How is he doing???
He looks awful. He's even bigger than when I took the pics yesterday. He still tries to swim a little, though. The medicine has been shipped, I hope it gets here in time to help!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #15 
callistra

Is he at least in the epsom salts? If you have started at 1 tsp per gallon you can up it to 2 or even 3, so long as you do so very slowly. They will help buy him time if nothing else.

If the antibiotics are going to be too slow to ship you can try to find something else locally.. they don't have as high a likelihood to work in my experience but it may be better than waiting weeks for meds to ship..depending on how fast you marked for shipping. Furan 2 has a some potential and as does a source of Erythromycin.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #16 
btook

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Is he at least in the epsom salts? If you have started at 1 tsp per gallon you can up it to 2 or even 3, so long as you do so very slowly. They will help buy him time if nothing else.

If the antibiotics are going to be too slow to ship you can try to find something else locally.. they don't have as high a likelihood to work in my experience but it may be better than waiting weeks for meds to ship..depending on how fast you marked for shipping. Furan 2 has a some potential and as does a source of Erythromycin.
Yup, he's in 3 tsp of epsom salts/gallon now, I did bring it up to that level fairly slowly.

I did get somewhat expedited shipping on the meds, my order should be here in 5 biz days at the latest- it's been marked as shipped, but the tracking # hasn't shown up in the system yet, so I don't know exactly when it will be here. I'm going by way of the pet store on Wednesday and if it looks like my order will be much later than that, I can check to see if they have Furan 2. Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #17 
AyalaCookiejar

Parasite Clear by Jungle worked for me in a situation sort of like this, and General Cure by API has two of the four meds in Parasite Clear so it's less harsh. They may not work, but its something to try if you don't think that he can wait or you can't find the other meds she suggested.
Then again, all I have around here is a Walmart and Parasite Clear is all they had.

I will say that all the meds Callistra suggested are better, and probably will be more effective and less harsh than those two, but if he really starts going downhill, its something to think about. You probably don't have a tracking number because the meds probably haven't even left the warehouse yet.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #18 
btook

Thanks for the ideas for other meds! My tracking # is finally in the Fedex system and it says my meds should be here by Friday. Not ideal, but...
Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #19 
Perry the platypus

There is something blocking the digestive system...
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #20 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That's obviously more then constipation. Fluid build up is clearly visible. I honestly would try a tiny bit of pea, I know other people will say no but it works for many people. I hope your meds get there in time!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote