Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #1 
Gracie8890

Making money for a kid

Hello fellow betta keepers! Some of you may know me from my previous posts. Well im in love with a horse. I need to buy her. I need a horse! I know some may not understand my love, but i know how much it is and all the work involved with horses. Im ready. So i need ways to earn money. Im hoping if i get enough to buy the horse my mom will give in. She already promised me a year ago that if i came up woth the money to board a horse for a year that she would give in. But i gave up. This time im NOT. Im thinking garage sales. Thatll raise about 200-300 dollars right? I already have about 700. And i make 20$ a week on allowence. Do yall have any other ideas on making some moneY? I cant get a job, my mom wont let me.
Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Okay I completely understand your love for horses but I have a couple of quick questions first, have you ever owned a horse before or looked after one unaided by anyone? If not I doubt you really understand the commitment involved. Also if you cannot get a job and have to buy the horse then who is going to pay for all its expenses? Teeth need filing by a vet once a year $150-$200, worming every 6 weeks Approx $20-$30, Hooves filing/shoeing every 4-6 weeks (trimming approx $35 if you can get someone cheap, shoeing $60-$80 every six weeks, vaccinations anywhere form $30- $500 a year depending on the vaccinations relevant to your area. Also feeding is not cheap and over a year can be crippling financially depending on your situation.Then there are unexpected vet bills and horse bills are never cheap $500 up to thousands and thousands.

I just thought I would mention this because not everyone considers all of these things before going out and buying a horse and then it gets neglected. If your parents are all for paying these fees and you truly understand the time commitments and hard work involved then go for it.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Well age can affect hiw you can make money. You can farm Crypts. A small terrrium will Allow you to grow things like sunset crypt and if you can grow new ones and produce other plants to sell.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #4 
djembekah

extra chores at home? yard work? do you have plants growing in your fish tank that you could sell trimmings from? art?
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #5 
thekinetic

My advice is wait until you're older and get a proper job and constant money coming in. I know you're young and kids have very little patience so they let their desires run unchecked. I also understand that you want a horse very badly but as others have stated you need to know every detail about what you're getting in to and what your parents would be getting in to as much as your love for this horse.

That said why not see if, and with your parents consent, you can get a job working on a stable. Not only will you make money but gain experiance in keeping horses.

Lastly you must think about yourself and this is where I am dead serious, accidents happen and horses have been known to kill people. My uncle keeps horses and it's not all fun and games, you must be strong and tough and wise to keep one. He was thrown a couple months back and broke quite a number of bones and was laid up in the hospital for weeks.

Good luck with you endeavour!
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

+1 Kinetic.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #7 
pittipuppylove

I agree with Kinetic as well... As awesome as horses are, they are a lot of work - I spent a summer working as a stablehand at a house with three horses, and it was a tough, nasty job. One that I thoroughly enjoyed and found very satisfying, but it's definitely not for everyone. It wouldn't be fair to either you or your horse for you to get him only to realize that caring for a horse isn't what you thought it would be.

There're also therapeutic riding programs that help people with physical and mental disabilities - many of them rely heavily on volunteers to assist with programs and help care for the horses. If you're interested in something like that, you could see if there's a program in your area that's accepting volunteers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by pittipuppylove; 12-30-2012 at 09:48 PM.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I was in a Horse riding thing ounce for Autistic kids.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #9 
aemaki09

+1 kinetic!!!

Also,

Horses are the most expensive pet to own. Seriously. Even if you get enough to pay for the horse and board, you will still need to come up with money for a farrier every 8 weeks *max* and for vet checks and shots. You cant skimp on the farrier because their feet grow like crazy, even though you dont have to get shoes when you arent going to be riding for a while (like in the snow) you still need to trim feet or they will become lame.
Vet costs are expensive, barn calls, (if you dont have a trailer, or the vet doesnt take large animals at his clinic) in my area cost $100 just for the travel, and this is a farm town you would expect it to be cheap.
Oh and dont forget about getting teeth floated every so often.
And price of tack if you dont already have it. A Cheap used synthetic saddle still costs about 200, a cheap used leather one between 400-600. Bridles are anywhere from 20-80, saddle pads are minimum 40, bits are about 25.
Sorry but I have to bring it up. I know too many irrisponsible owners that didnt think ahead when they made their purchase.
Goodluck with getting money up for him though!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #10 
Gracie8890

Thankyall, but i do understand what im getting into. I spent years around horses, I've been bucked off. They have spooked on me. I know how to care for one and everything involved like farrier, vet, vaccinations, deworming, teeth floating, feed, tack, etc. All of that is included with the board.well, the health stuff anyway. Its 375 a month for board, that includes boarding, farrier,vet,etc. But it doesn't include emergency vet visits for something like colic or thrush. I know that. Thanks for your concern on my safety kinetic, but i know what im betting into. Horses are 1ton creatures that can kill you. I know. Ive almost been trampled by one, ive been bitten, i even got kicked once!
Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote