Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #271 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
I'm starting to think that keeping my comet much longer in only a 55 is just not good for him. I love him to pieces but he deserves to be in something bigger :X And I don't have money for a pond or an upgrade /sigh
Look into one of those Chinese buffets. Most of them have indoor ponds. Maybe they'll take your comet donation.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #272 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
I'm starting to think that keeping my comet much longer in only a 55 is just not good for him. I love him to pieces but he deserves to be in something bigger :X And I don't have money for a pond or an upgrade /sigh
Ya. I don't personally feel that a 55 gal is a good long-term home for a comet either. Your best bet is going to be trying to find someone with a pond or taking the fish to a local public ornamental pond (this would be a pond in Japanese garden for example). I would ask around in your neighborhood first. There are a lot more people around with pond than you normally would think.

As far as finding a pond at a restaurant, you'd probably have to look pretty far to find a good one. Most restaurant pond are actually pretty small and usually less than 100 gallons. For some odd reason when people hear "pond" the gallons don't seem to matter as much. Goldfish are still dirty and need over 100 gallons. I see a lot of ponds sold that are just like 40 or so gallons; people just assume these are okay because it's a pond.

Another place you could look for ponds is at large pet stores. I know a handful around me have koi ponds. If you let them know your situation, some might be willing to take in your comet.

A final option is put him up on a place like Craigslist. Maybe someone is looking to restock their pond.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #273 
FishyFishy89

I knew thought about that Izzy. Most ponds look so huge to me that i think they're sized approiately.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #274 
thekoimaiden

It's a really sad fact. A few months ago I was talking with someone who said he'd just put in a new pond in his backyard and stocked it with koi and goldfish. I was happy to see goldfish in a proper home until he showed me a picture.... it was a little 40 gal bucket. :(

But on a happier note look at these above-ground ponds I found. At Lowes.

And they also have a halfmoon version. Also at Lowes.

The website doesn't give the gallons or size, but I'm pretty sure I read on another site that the larger one is about 120 gallons and the smaller one is about 60 gallons. They could even be used on an indoor patio.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #275 
FishyFishy89

Wow those are pretty. I love the portal windows. Gives you a whole other view in a pond.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #276 
FishyFishy89

Any of y'all ever tried to heavily plant a goldie tank?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #277 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Me me. But it's hard. I am battling algae right now. Goldfish produce a lot of nitrate, plants or not. I bet it'd be beautiful with less stocking.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #278 
FishyFishy89

I have access to anubias, hornwort, moneywort, camboba?, anacharis and swords. Should I do? Or can I use all provided they get their own veggies to munchie on? Algae I could careless about ;)
Old 12-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #279 
FishyFishy89

BTW, are their certain plants they love diggin up?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #280 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Those should all work out fine.. get them as babies and fill it with plants and you should be good. Usually people try to put one plant in and the goldfish will target it, but if you plant a lot there will be little damage. Hornwort and anacharis are good snacks but they grow fast enough to keep up..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote