Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #1 
CrazyFishDude

Planted Fishbowl

This is a continuation of an old thread I made FOREVER ago under my old account GuppyBetta, but I'd hate to bump the old thread, so consider this a "part 2."

So in my old thread I was talking about a setup I wanted to start with some help from some members; a half-gallon or one-gallon (THERE ARE NO BETTAS, GOLDFISH, ETC GOING INTO THIS SETUP) fishbowl with a marimo ball, some java moss, and (possibly) a glass shrimp. Well, sadly that didn't happen, BUT THERE IS HOPE!!!!!1!!!111!!!!11 I got a good amount of money over Christmas, and I asked if I could get a marimo ball with some of it, and they said I most likely could, as I could just get a small fishbowl for it. I may get it in a couple of weeks. Hopefully, I can also convince them to let me put a glass shrimp or a snail (depending on what I decide, because I'm thinking of a ramshorn or mystery snail as another possibility) in there and I'll finally have that setup done!

This is probably all I would have room for at my dad's, because we're in a small ranch house that almost literally doesn't have room for a 2.5 gallon. And at my mom's, my betta Jimmy died and she doesn't want me to get more fish there for awhile. But, I do help my stepsister take care of her female betta, Mystery, and if I get this setup then I'll have a little aquarium of my own until I can get a full fish tank setup (probably for a betta, but if I got a big enough tank in the future,one of my dreams is to have a bunch of harlequin rasboras for some reason LOL). But I'm starting to think WAY too far into the future, so I'll stop here and let you guys respond. Let me know what you think of this little fishbowl idea.
CrazyFishDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The planted thing is called a pictotype.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #3 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
The planted thing is called a pictotype.
Thanks for the technical term. IDK I made the title simple just to make it clear what I was talking about.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I suggest the walstrad method.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #5 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
I suggest the walstrad method.
I'm not an expert on planted tanks, and being the n00b I am I had to Google that.

Now that I know what it means, that seems like a good idea. I had been thinking of using plants that don't require soil though, such as java moss and marimo as I've stated before. I may get soil and use normal aquatic plants, but I only am going to use a half gallon or one gallon bowl, so I may not have much room to grow out plants (which may take out the java moss idea). In which case, would a marimo ball or two and possibly java moss be able to benefit the environment for the shrimp and vice versa, provided I do water changes? When I first presented the idea in the old thread, some of the highly respected members of the forum commented, and they said a bare bottom with a marimo and shrimp would be fine.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Heating might be harder in a .5 gallon. Crypts would look cool in a Walstrad.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #7 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
Heating might be harder in a .5 gallon. Crypts would look cool in a Walstrad.
True, but from experience and what I've read and heard, glass shrimp can handle cooler temperatures and don't NEED heaters, I kept a marimo in a big cool-water tank that had zebra danios in it (I miss that setup SO MUCH), and it was totally fine in 70 degree water. And java moss can grow in pretty much anything.

This would only be for plants and animals that can handle cooler water, since I doubt I could successfully heat a one gallon either.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

American Glass Shrimp are Native here.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #9 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
American Glass Shrimp are Native here.
I found that out when I researched them a few days ago for planning this setup. That's cool. I wonder if they're anywhere in Ohio (probably not). Either way, hopefully I could keep one in an unheated setup with the marimo ball. Someone on this forum suggested I get a lot of bigger fishbowls or small tanks, breed Red Cherry Shrimp, and sell the babies in the big fishbowls at flea markets and stuff with food and a care sheet. If I had the space and time for that right now, I would SO do that. LOL

Anyway, back on topic, I actually had been wanting to do a fishtank involving something like the Walstad setup (before I knew what it was called LOL), but sadly I don't really have space at my dad's for anything more than this little fishbowl.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If you want RCS they need a 10 gallon for a Colony.