Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 02:40 AM   #71 
Blue Fish

Ahh, I had not thought about floating being able to get CO2 from the atmosphere...interesting.

Thanks for the rec's! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #72 
johnny151

I saw the OP posted 10 gallon with filter 50% water change. I've only been doing 20-25% Weekly. Is 25% ok, or not enough and will cause illness?
johnny151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #73 
Myates

If your 10g has no live plants it is recommended to do 50% weekly, which includes vacuuming of the substrate... water quality is the most important thing for a fish, for their health. In time it can cause different problems, can promote different things such as fungus and bacteria that attacks the fish (such as fin rot).

The OP is very knowledgeable in the proper recommendations of water changes, would follow the advice given for your set up to ensure a better chance for a healthy, long living fish. :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #74 
johnny151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
If your 10g has no live plants it is recommended to do 50% weekly, which includes vacuuming of the substrate... water quality is the most important thing for a fish, for their health. In time it can cause different problems, can promote different things such as fungus and bacteria that attacks the fish (such as fin rot).

The OP is very knowledgeable in the proper recommendations of water changes, would follow the advice given for your set up to ensure a better chance for a healthy, long living fish. :)
Thank you! I was told only to do 25% by a Petsmart associate and I've been doing that since I realise from this forum that Petsmart associates are not reliable. My poor buddy. Today is his water change i will do 50% from now on.

Do you happen to know a good water conditioner? I use Tetra Aquasafe Plus... but I feel like i could get something better

Also, how long are you supposed to wait before adding the new water after putting the conditioner?

Last edited by johnny151; 12-28-2012 at 10:50 AM.
johnny151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #75 
crowntaillove3

Thanks for taking the time to type all of that up! It is a big help to first time owners like me!
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:31 AM   #76 
jdeschene

Hi all! I have just joined as I plan to very soon add a little fishy friend to my family. This information has been wonderfully helpful! Thanks so much.

One question: this is the first I've heard of the "stir and dip method." What is that exactly?

Thanks so much!
jdeschene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #77 
Oldfishlady

The stir and dip method is sometimes used for the smaller tanks that are hard to vacuum or when you don't have a vacuum to use or with lightly planted tanks with inert substrate.

What I do-I use chopsticks or anything will work to stir the inert substrate a bit to bring some of the mulm/debris up into the water column. Then using a cup-dip half the water out of the tank.
If you have a filter-turn this off before you start-as well as unplug the heater for any water change.
Refill
Once refilled-the tank should clear within the hour-you can't and don't want to remove all the mulm/debris-some is good for the system.
If the tank doesn't clear within the hour-you either missed a weekly water change, overstocked or overfeeding.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 12-30-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #78 
jdeschene

Thanks so much! I think this method would be perfect for the size of my tank!
jdeschene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:13 PM   #79 
callistra

Now I see where people are getting all these new water change suggestions.. nice :)

The only one my tests would have any contradiction to is the 5g. I do 100% weekly in mine or I see as much as .5ppm ammonia by day 7. I also keep bare bottom and suck up all poo with a turkey baster. I've never done a 50% change at that point and continued but if it reaches that high in 7 days in another 7 with only 50% change it's going to be exponentially higher.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:56 AM   #80 
rangerserena

Ofl i just want to make sure i understand how to change the water. I have a 2 1/2 gallon tank for my betta. So i need to take half his water out but leave him in the tank ? Then i gradually add the new treated water to his tank every few minites? Do i take his rocks out or do i transefer him to another holding cell?
rangerserena is offline   Reply With Quote