Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #1 
ILOVETHEPISTONS

heater and filter

does my beta need a filter and heater? i have a 1 gallon tank. my fish placeS said that they would be okay in romm-temperature water? is this true? will it be less healthy if i don't have a filter or heater? HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM A NEW OWNER!
ILOVETHEPISTONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #2 
mikedelo

re: beta

I could be wrong but....... A filter is always needed! Or at least SOME filtration. As for the heater.... the job of the heater is to keep the water at a certain temp. In my office I have a small tank that needs a heater because the room temp touches the 60 degree mark.

For every degree of temp in a fish's world it is equal to 10 degrees for us humans. Think of going from 70 and cool to 80 and sticky.

Michael
mikedelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #3 
Flashygrrl

Can you upgrade to a 2.5 gallon at all? It's be much better for him and easier on you (two partial water changes per week versus two full changes a week with the 1 gallon). As for a filter, I've always used one even if it's just a sponge filter. Makes things stay cleaner. A heater is a must and here's a good one for that. Preset and small and all that.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #4 
Kim

A heater is a must. Bettas do best in water 78-80 F. I don't know if they make filters small enough for a 1 gallon tank, a sponge filter may work though.

Upgrading to at least a 2.5 gallon would probably be best for your betta, and less work for you :) . Plus, they sell more products geared toward this size tank.
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote