Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Make sure to condition the female and the male. Do not let them see each other a lot... Keep them separated and feed very well with constant water changes.

Indian almond leaves are nice to use, and bettas love it. If you want to try with her, go ahead, just make sure both are ready, and healthy.

I've never heard of years = deformities. Ares must be a year now, and most of his fry are healthy (a couple swim off) plus the female bred to him is probably about the same age.... And she gave off well over 250 eggs.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #12 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
if they're over a year old, doesn't increase the likelihood of genetic deformities in the fry?
Uhhhhh, I see.
It's possible...

Thank you for your advice !
I have to keep in mind.
norico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

One of my females is a smidge over two years old and she and her partner have given me around 25 fry. Can't see any obvious deformities. If she's a nice female and you have conditioned her properly I can't see why it should be too much of a big deal.

Probably the worst thing that happens if you do get a successful wrap is that have to cull the fry or the eggs are infertile.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #14 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Make sure to condition the female and the male. Do not let them see each other a lot... Keep them separated and feed very well with constant water changes.

Indian almond leaves are nice to use, and bettas love it. If you want to try with her, go ahead, just make sure both are ready, and healthy.

I've never heard of years = deformities. Ares must be a year now, and most of his fry are healthy (a couple swim off) plus the female bred to him is probably about the same age.... And she gave off well over 250 eggs.
I'll do it and I will try to next year.
I use Indian Almond leaves always.

It's so help for me !
Old 12-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #15 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
One of my females is a smidge over two years old and she and her partner have given me around 25 fry. Can't see any obvious deformities. If she's a nice female and you have conditioned her properly I can't see why it should be too much of a big deal.

Probably the worst thing that happens if you do get a successful wrap is that have to cull the fry or the eggs are infertile.
Oh, really ! It's good news !
I will try to breeding next year.

Thank you for yoru advice !
Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

No worries. Like I said unless yours is one of the rare cases where one or both fish end up dead, the worst thing that happens is you get no wrap, your eggs are infertile, or some of your fry end up with deformities.

And honestly, that stuff seems to happen a lot of the time anyway.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #17 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
No worries. Like I said unless yours is one of the rare cases where one or both fish end up dead, the worst thing that happens is you get no wrap, your eggs are infertile, or some of your fry end up with deformities.

And honestly, that stuff seems to happen a lot of the time anyway.
I see I keep in mind what you said.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #18 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I agree with everyone - as long as the pair is healthy and active (specially the male), breeding older bettas should be ok.

IMO, fish that produces different sized eggs according to their size (like gold fish) might have problems when bred at a later age (or bigger size) - fry have trouble hatching (so they say). But big and small bettas lay approximately the same sized eggs and fry hatch fairly easily either way. So breeding older bettas shouldn't be a problem if the pair is healthy and active.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #19 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
I agree with everyone - as long as the pair is healthy and active (specially the male), breeding older bettas should be ok.

IMO, fish that produces different sized eggs according to their size (like gold fish) might have problems when bred at a later age (or bigger size) - fry have trouble hatching (so they say). But big and small bettas lay approximately the same sized eggs and fry hatch fairly easily either way. So breeding older bettas shouldn't be a problem if the pair is healthy and active.
Thank you for your advice.
I am so sorry for my late reply.
I really appriciate your help. It's really good expain you have long esperience for Betta.

Thank you !