Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #1 
labloverl

What should I do with this tank?

I have a 3.5 cycled tank that has been set up and running for 4-5 months. The betta in it just suddenly died. He bloated up pretty big last night...

I LOVE keeping fish. I have 3 other special males in a 10 gallon, and another in a 5 gallon. I also hate waiting on a tank to cycle. My problem is... do I break the 3 gallon down or leave it up and get another fish? I don't know what killed the betta though. I'm not very fond of the tank. It has LED lights.. the white ones have almost all gone out so all that is left are blue ones which make it hard to see the fish. It really is perfect for a betta though. Would a small school of other fish do well in it? I seem to have more luck keeping bettas than I do a school of fish. But what should I do? Please offer advice.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #2 
waterdog

If you don't like it and have no intentions of replacing the lights, I would get rid of it. Nothing else will really be happy in such a small tank and if they are not your favorites, you probably won't care for them the way they would need....IMO
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:23 AM   #3 
Kytkattin

I agree with waterdog. Either replace the lights or move the tank to a sunny window, or tear it down. Fish keeping should always be enjoyable, and you don't find this tank enjoyable any more.

Or, consider putting some ghost shrimp in it for a while. Just keep in mind if you go with them that you HAVE to have a closed lid. I have lost more shrimp than I care to count to open tops. Thankfully though, ghost shrimps are often considered feeders so they come pretty cheap!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #4 
labloverl

Those are very good points. The fact that I don't know what caused the betta's death means that it would likely not be safe to put another fish in without breaking it down and cycling again (which I hate doing.)
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #5 
homegrown terror

move the tank to a windowsill and use it to farm live plants for your other tanks. maybe add a few mystery snails so they can eat off any leaves that die, and fertilise your plants with their poo.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote