Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #1 
bethyMT

Is this an illness or not?

Hi all. This is one of baby girls. She's got this wierd pale coloration on the top of her head/body...she is a black lace, the spot here is pale. It's been spreading along the top of her body. AFAIK, it isn't raised, and almost looks like the scales themselves are changing color. There are no other symptoms, she's eating and swimming and wiggling about as usual. I do not want to treat her if I don't know what it is. None of her six sisters are displaying this, and all are acting healthy. I'd appreciate any help figuring out what this could be.

bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #2 
bethyMT

More pics...
And thank you very much for your help!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #3 
Elsewhere

I'm no expert (at all), but after I got my Betta he started getting red scales all up his back like that too and I panicked. But it was just his colours coming in. How long have you had the fish? When did this start? What size tank is she in?
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #4 
bethyMT

Oh gosh I'm sorry. I forgot all the details.

Fish Age: 15weeks.she is a giant HMPK. I've had her since she was 9wks old.
Tank: 20g, filtered, planted, heated to 81F. Lives with six of her sisters, no aggression.
Water changes: Yes, 2-3X week, more than 50% each time
I'm a pretty experienced fish keeper. She's in a good place.

Food: 2-3xday,a couple Hikari baby pellets or Omega one baby pellets

She has been showing this for a few days now. Started with one lonely scale, and has grown since then. At first I thought it was an injury, but I guess not.

Last edited by bethyMT; 01-01-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: more info!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

For now, don't worry about it. If it changes, tell us and someone will help.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #6 
callistra

I would switch to NLS growth formula myself, but that's not saying this is what the problem is.

She looks like she's missing some scales on top.. any possibility she could have rubbed on something? But that could also be completely normal.. seem my avatar? Fireball was the same way :)
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #7 
bonski61

hey i was just wondering if my betta was sick, im posting in a bit of an emergency.

ive just done an water change as i do usually. and i think i have stressed my fish out a bit to much. he is floating in the corner of the tank barley moving at all. practically clinging to the side wall. his fins arnt moving but i can see his gills are intaking air, and plus every now and again he lifts his head for air. ive literally done the water change about an hour ago and he has been like it ever since. ive
added the stress coat and stress zyme to the water as i did a 50% water change.
if i waggle my finger in the water he moves about for a sec and then reverts back to his spot. whats up with him??
ive unplugged his heater for a bit to allow the temp to drop slightly as im worried his tank may feel a tad warmer than usual.
bonski61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #8 
callistra

Bonski please make your own thread and fill this out: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

From what you've said so far I think you have shocked your fish by not acclimating slowly enough, or maybe making a chance with water of the wrong temperature. You always need to use a glass in tank thermometer to know the temp of both the water in the tank and what you're filling it up with. Unplugging his heater will only cause more temperature fluctuations and is probably a bad idea unless there's something wrong with it and it's overheating the water.. only a thermometer will tell you.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote