Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #1 
Kiyo77

To get one or not to get one

Hello all, I've been thinking of getting a betta fish (crowntail is my favourite) but I sway from yay to naye.

One thing putting me off is having too many pets (well I worry). Currently have two cats and two fish in a pond outside (its a small pond). With an additional pet I worry it would be stressful to maintain all. I'm probally being a silly worry wart though

Even though I've done research I am not sure of how many times you need to feed, change water, and test water to see if its right.

one major thing that always stopped me is the sound of the filter. I do not want to be able to hear it.

Whilst I was at an aquatics place today I saw a fish that amused me (and was kind of cute). I love fish with big/long fins, and enjoy watching this fish clean up. http://www.tropicalfishbypost.co.uk/...ose-pleco.html

^ I was thinking of a 40 litre tank, but if this guy is okay to live with him I'd have to grab a 60, then have a few schools of tetra.

p.s I'd love a betta like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...gNavW4YyA&NR=1

Many thanks, from a fish noob.

EDIT: I actually found this guy to be more amazing. It has long fins and I fell in love. Its a
Albino longfin bristlenose http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc_kURc3v10

Last edited by Kiyo77; 01-01-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Kiyo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #2 
homegrown terror

if the noise of a filter is what's pushing you away from a betta, you should get a good quality hood lamp and stock his tank with live plants, which will filter out ammonia just as well (sometimes better!) than a mechanical filter.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #3 
Kiyo77

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
if the noise of a filter is what's pushing you away from a betta, you should get a good quality hood lamp and stock his tank with live plants, which will filter out ammonia just as well (sometimes better!) than a mechanical filter.
I could put up with the filter sound if it wasn't loud. I think I'd put the tank in my bedroom or the spare room. Spare room has my computer in (I use headphones dont worry) so I wouldn't really hear it. I read they don't need a filter, so on the off chance I don't want to hear it I could turn it off for a bit?

About the live plants. Doesn't they make taking care of the tank hard?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian

To have a pleco you need at least a 60 gallon tank. Those fish can get as long as your arm. Also if you want other fish with a betta you need at least a 10 gallon tank then. Nothing under 10 gallons for more than one fish and nothing under 5 gallons for a fish and one snail. One gallon is also minimum for a betta but a 2.5 gallon is better and will insure your fish has enough room. You feed betta's twice a day and have one day of fasting where they are not fed. This helps with their digestive track to clean it out so they don't get constipated.

As for plants they make it easier on water changes but with a smaller tank it needs to be cleaned twice a week. With a non cycled tank you need to clean it one 100% tank clean and one 50% water change every week. Anything smaller than a 2.5 gallon need to be cleaned three times a week. Two 50% water changes and one 100% tank clean.

Betta also need a heater, this is not optinal. They need their temp to be at least 76 to 80 though 78 is best.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 01-01-2013 at 05:30 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #5 
Kiyo77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
To have a pleco you need at least a 60 gallon tank. Those fish can get as long as your arm. Also if you want other fish with a betta you need at least a 10 gallon tank then. Nothing under 10 gallons for more than one fish and nothing under 5 gallons for a fish and one snail.
Well thats odd. The website I linked has 2 of these Pleco's that don't grow very big (and 10cm isn't arm size for sure) and they say 60 litres is minimal tank size for these small variaties. They DO stock the larger ones which I think you ment?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #6 
LadyVictorian

HA, common pleco's get MASSIVE and that first pic is most certainly a common. We had to give ours up after 8 months living in a 20 gallon as he got large enough to suck up the smaller fish. and 60 litters is TOO small for any cleaner fish like that. I am afraid the site has given poor missinformation to you. For any community tank fish (smaller) it's 10 gallons, betta, guppies, tetras, pygmy cories. For all other community fish it's 20 gallons min, even small clown pleco's need at least 20 gallons. Goldfish 50-75 gallons.

Here is a full grown pleco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ui-nmEmrE

the ones they sell in store are often times babies.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #7 
homegrown terror

bristlenoses don't grow as long as commons and other plecos, but they still get to be about 5-6 inches, and produce a lot of waste, which requires more water space or toxins and ammonia will build up FAST. also, about the filter noise, most of what you'll hear won't be the motor running but the water dripping to the surface, and you can cut that down by taking a piece of aquarium sponging and pushing it into the intake tube, which also dampens the flow from the filter and creates less of a disturbing current for your guy.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #8 
Fishybitty

I'm with you that. I don't know if I should purchase another betta or not. I had one. He just died today. I had got a few neons for my 10gallon and I think he got stressed. Therefor it caused ich. I was treating it and it didn't go away and he ending up passing. They are so beautiful but they seem so sensitive. Like I said though he was happy and healthy until I introduced those fish :(
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #9 
Bluewind

Don't get discouraged. There are fish you can have and love in a smaller tank.

Bettas are full of energy and personality. So, if you want to get them a tankmate, they need to not clash.

You like plecos. I think they are pretty cool too. But, they are litte poopers AND they need plenty of space. So, what about something similar? Look up Cory Catfish and Otos. They come in many varities and I'm sure there is one out their just perfect for you and a 10gallon tank!

Not your cup of tea? Then what about 3 Kulii Loaches? They are neat little ones.

Not wanting a 10 gallon? How about a 5? In that, you can comfortably fit a betta and either 1 mystery snail or 6 shrimp. There is a risk that Mr. Betta will eat the shrimp, but it's worth it as these little guys are a blast!

Want the betta to be a lone ranger? Go for the 2.5. He will be happy as long as you have decor for him to explore.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-02-2013 at 03:23 AM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:21 AM   #10 
LadyVictorian

Pygmy corries are CUTE