Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 05:00 AM   #1 
Kithy

Dallas Area:Comet goldfish

I really, really hate to do this but after thinking it over for a long time now I've realized I can't escape or compensate for the reality; my comet is going to outgrow my 55 and there is nothing I can do about it.

I can't afford an upgrade, I can't afford a pond. I don't know anyone who will care for him and as far as I know goldfish can be hard to ship.

This guy deserves a good home, he beat the odds in a fountain for two years before the water dried up and I saw him laying on leaves gasping, waiting for a bird to eat him.

I can't say how sad I am to have to let him go but I don't have much of a choice. I can't do water changes every single day just to keep him in a tank he'll likely outgrow or be stunted in (if he wasn't stunted in the fountain).

I would prefer he go to someone rather local, someone that can meet us nearby to hand him over. But I don't want to just let him go, please show me where you would put him, how long your tank or pond has been established and how much experience you have. He really does deserve a good home.

I considered putting an ad on craigslist but I am scared he'd be used as food. I answered an ad asking for koi or large goldfish but he's still under six inches so I really doubt the person would take him or if I'd even be comfortable with it.

Please give him a good home :<

He's nothing special to the average eye, just a comet, a feeder fish. But he's a fighter, he doesn't give up. And he's a very special fish to me. I hate to give him away but I really don't know what else to do.

My husband suggested I start here as most of the people here seem very compassionate towards fish that most people would consider "just another fish". I can't help but feel guilty about this but I know he deserves better than I can provide.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #2 
callistra

Good luck!! I don't have anything near big enough for this dude... He needs 100 gallons.

I know that a lot of goldfish keepers suggest running dual filters, and this might help you in the meantime.. something rated at double what you have. So if you install filtration for a 100 gallon tank this could help him a lot.. I would just add 2 of what you're running that's rated at 55 gallon.

Last edited by callistra; 12-31-2012 at 12:02 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #3 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Good luck!! I don't have anything near big enough for this dude... He needs 100 gallons.

I know that a lot of goldfish keepers suggest running dual filters, and this might help you in the meantime.. something rated at double what you have. So if you install filtration for a 100 gallon tank this could help him a lot.. I would just add 2 of what you're running that's rated at 55 gallon.
I'm thinking of grabbing another filter actually. My husband doesn't want to get rid of any fish (funny coming from him) but he says it might have to wait a week. Either way, Mister Fishy isn't going anywhere unless I know for a fact he's going to someone who can care for him properly.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #4 
Maddybelle

how many fish do you have in the 55? The rule for comets/commons is 20gal/fish, 10gal/fish for fancies. How much filtration do you have? You need 10x your water volume per hour, so 55 x 10= 550gph (gallons per hour). He's a beautiful fishy, if I were closer I'd give him a home. =)
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #5 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddybelle View Post
how many fish do you have in the 55? The rule for comets/commons is 20gal/fish, 10gal/fish for fancies. How much filtration do you have? You need 10x your water volume per hour, so 55 x 10= 550gph (gallons per hour). He's a beautiful fishy, if I were closer I'd give him a home. =)
The comet, oranda and a fantail with a bristlenose pleco and about 700gph. I just feel like he deserves a nice big pond to hit that 14" mark someday :3

I love this little guy to pieces and he's grown so much since I brought him inside back in April.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #6 
FishFriend9292

If this helps, horse troughs make cheap ponds.
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote