Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #1 
Fenghuang

New home for new bettas

I wanted to get the 10 gallon starter kit from Walmart but they were sold out. So I picked out the 5 gallon one instead for less than two dollars less. Then I went to Petsmart to get a divider and found out that Petsmart was selling their 10 gallon starter kit on sale for the same price as Walmart today. My mom didn't want to drive me back to return the tank I bought and said that she didn't see why two fish would need "so much space." -___-

But ah, well... At least Grimm and Dantalian have a home now. Sorry the pictures aren't great. They refused to hold still.

Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #2 
Syriiven

Lookds nice and roomie so far =) Going to add live plants or any caves?
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #3 
Fenghuang

Thanks. Those two plants are live. I don't have any experience with live plants but I heard Anubias are almost impossible to kill so I got those. I'm going to get some large shells they can hide in once they settle down. (:
Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #4 
Syriiven

If they're seashells that haven't been 'processed' rememebr to soak and bleach them first. I bought a bag of big shells from Walmart but they're not super clean so I'm soaking them before adding them to mine.

Here's a link if you need it : http://www.ehow.com/how_6807689_add-...ells-tank.html

I'm new to plants too, just recently got some moss balls, hornwart (floaty weed stuff) and a java fern. I just ask the lfs guy to show me the beginner stuff that needs low lighting xD I wanna get some anacharis and anubias tho! They look nice!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Tank is looking good. I think tying some java moss (also indestructible) onto the white pebbles would help soften them and add some more colour into your tank.

Also, I would probably straighten up your divider. Not sure if you have straightened it up since the photos but I have had males get around crooked dividers before and your males are nice enough you wouldn't want them to damage their fins.

Just be careful about adding shells as they can increase the hardness and pH of your water.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #6 
Syriiven

Ah, forgot that part. Definitely true. But that's why we have test kits to watch for that =)
Old 01-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #7 
Fenghuang

I know, I know. I'm having issues with the divider. My Petsmart only sells 10 gallon dividers and up. So I got one and thought I'll cut it to fit. But no matter what, it's still not sitting straight. Dantalian (the smaller one) is the more aggressive one and keeps crossing over. The other one is rather passive, but I worry they'll hurt each other. I don't know what to do. ><
Old 01-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Firstly, I would push the gravel up against the divider on both sides. I find dividers tend to fall down if they don't have bracing on all four sides and it looks like yours does not have any bracing along the top.

If you can find plastic poster hangers or even the spines off display folders, these can be cut down and should fit over your divider at the top. This should hopefully hold it a bit more rigid and make it less prone to falling over.

That's the only pain about DIY dividers that have not been siliconed in. They never look exactly perfect.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #9 
jinxhex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
I know, I know. I'm having issues with the divider. My Petsmart only sells 10 gallon dividers and up. So I got one and thought I'll cut it to fit. But no matter what, it's still not sitting straight. Dantalian (the smaller one) is the more aggressive one and keeps crossing over. The other one is rather passive, but I worry they'll hurt each other. I don't know what to do. ><
I bought the same exact divider for my 10g tank at PetSmart, and I had to trim all four sides of the netting up a bit, and then had to cut down the two side grips with a pair of scissors so they fit under the black rim around the top of the tank. Did your divider come with two silver clips? Those really help keep it secured and straight.
jinxhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #10 
Fenghuang

It did come the clips, but they didn't really help. They actually pushed the sides of the divider slightly away from the wall. It would be okay for large bettas, but one of them is tiny. Barely an inch long and skinny. I shoved the excessive plastic mesh material into the sides and it seemed to be holding for now, but I need to make a better fitting divider.