Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #221 
Butterfly

You can do it--I totally believe it.
Really cool you want to open up a shot--and want some input!
Honestly, if you were in the US I'd want to shop at your store rather than those huge chains. aka talk to a real person who is willing to help me with my fishy needs+knows a lot :D

'If anyone has any ideas to throw out there (types of tanks, stands, selling live plants, or educational purposes, energy saving ideas aka electricity, water, etc) go ahead and post ^_^'

What do you mean by types of tanks? I don't know if what I'm about to say is at all going to be helpful but... xD I LOVE my fluval chi. Seriously it's so pretty and really a nice thing to have in my living room. Fred loves it too :D
I think it would be good to have a range of aesthetically pleasing tanks in a range of prices. Personally, I don't care much for those traditional tanks--sure, they do the job, but I'm all about the 'bling bling' xD personally. I like things to look nice. (not that traditional tanks don't look nice). Also, I really like glass tanks. Not a fan of plastic... And if you don't have something--order it! I think that's what I really appreciate from some places. If they don't have it, they will get it for me.

Personally, I like live plants better than the silk plants...they just seem to look nicer? Although I might get rid of my amazon sword for a silk plant it's sort of high-maintenance compared to my anacharis and marimo. I also think it's a good thing to sell live plants that absorb a lot of ammonia. <-- that is a big perk for me when buying plants. Also, I think low maintenance plants would be best to sell. That way, you won't get 'oh my plant died.' D:

I would write up guides for each plant--light requirements, common names, ammonia absorption, etc. And always be willing to educate your customers on something--if you don't know, check. Instead of printing out little info sheets(waste of ink most of the time because they just toss it out), offer to email the file to them/post it on your website.

For education, I would start out by referring to your website or telling them in person, having some nice signs printed and laminated about the care of that particular fish.

For money saving, the best thing you can do is go digital. Sure--laptop is energy, but printer+ink+repairs+energy+etc. all that can add up.

I don't quite know how you could save money on water... Maybe you could use the fish water for the plants? (but plant water doesn't really need to be changed that often, right?)

Very excited for you--btw sorry if I repeated anything, didn't read through the thread.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:15 AM   #222 
Butterfly

Okay, so it's not letting me edit that long post ^.
Anyways, just some thoughts... :)
I would just focus on fish for now, like you said you would. Could you sell some cull fish as food to other, larger fishkeepers? I really like what you've got going now. It sounds really wonderful. Any local facebook groups you can join? Craigslist? Fish clubs? I would also go to any (as many as possible) local craft fairs/meets/whatever you could call tent gatherings xD to show off your fish and get the word out about your opening :) (before you open)

Just saying, I don't like the sale of mill animals like rabbits, mice, amphibians, birds, etc. I would rather get the animal from a shelter or a reputable breeder. :) I guess what I'm saying is it would really decrease my interest in your store if you sold all kinds of mass-produced 'commodity' animals >.<. But that's just me. I really do not like to go to/support stores, even if they are local that are like that. An exclusive fish store with an educated owner/breeder like yourself sounds much more appealing...a place I would for sure walk into and happily buy from.

my lfs also sells brine shrimp and I bought some for fred. They are his favorite ^_^ However, they only lived for a few days, they probably just started dying from stress I'm assuming. I don't know how hardy they are breeding/keeping wise. (the pet store just had them in a big 10gal totally red/pink with the filter/fountains/whatever made them swish around going on max.I really like to see him eat live foods though, it's fun!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #223 
Sena Hansler

Thanks for the ideas :) types of tanks meant styles or sizes lol.
As for the "mill" aspect I actually would refuse any "would you buy from me" breeder that entered my shop. No cats, no dogs, no guineas, no bunnies. I don't need any "CKC" bull!! Especially in my area where breeders are backyard breeders aka profit not animal (quantity not quality). It's rather sad, actually. So if anything I would sell food, and other items and work in coordination with shelters, pounds, and the SPCA.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #224 
Butterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Thanks for the ideas :) types of tanks meant styles or sizes lol.
As for the "mill" aspect I actually would refuse any "would you buy from me" breeder that entered my shop. No cats, no dogs, no guineas, no bunnies. I don't need any "CKC" bull!! Especially in my area where breeders are backyard breeders aka profit not animal (quantity not quality). It's rather sad, actually. So if anything I would sell food, and other items and work in coordination with shelters, pounds, and the SPCA.
AMEN! seriously.

I would definitely hit up all the art people--painters, ceramicists, potters, sculptors, etc. for some of their stuff to be displayed in your shop. Good for their business/craft and great for your shop(pretty! :D)
Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #225 
Sena Hansler

PLUS that will actually help out with the community and upcoming artists... Unlike that art store which says you must pump out 50 paintings or more a year -.-
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #226 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You can keep a small live plant and IAL in each barrack.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #227 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
I would write up guides for each plant--light requirements, common names, ammonia absorption, etc.
You could also group plants by their care-level: "Easy/Beginner," "Intermediate," "Advanced." And within each level, you could group again by height. Ie:

"Easy/Beginner plants" --> small height, medium height, tall, floating. Etc.

I really like the pictures posted on the previous page of this thread. They showed a nice layout for plants and fish. (And the fish were kept in something bigger than a cup!)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #228 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Keeping things that help plants live like Assassins and Otos in Plant Tanks. Maybe a few Bettas too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #229 
rubinthebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
AMEN! seriously.

I would definitely hit up all the art people--painters, ceramicists, potters, sculptors, etc. for some of their stuff to be displayed in your shop. Good for their business/craft and great for your shop(pretty! :D)
I can help with that! I draw bettas and other animals a lot! Just let me know and I'd be happy to help!
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #230 
Mo

Sena.. Maybe you could use this guide I wrote for your store when it opens to help educate them about live plants? (Spinoff of butterfly's idea)
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote