Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #1 
LittleBlueFishlets

Using equipment after Lysol treatment

If I spray all my equipment down with Lysol, what do I need to do to make it safe to use again?

I have acrylic critter keepers, Top Fin and Marina heaters, thermometers, silicone suction cups, and silk plants. (I'm going to throw out the porous materials, such terracotta pots and rocks.)

I need to use Lysol because it's possible that my fish have been exposed to Mycobacteria. Bleach isn't effective at killing it as there is a waxy coating that protects it. Per the disinfection protocols that I've read, Lysol is effective, as is 70% ethanol.*

I am hoping that everything can just be rinsed off after that Lysol dries, and that it's not absorbed into the material itself. Thoughts?

*I don't have ethanol, but I have 70% isopropyl alcohol, and plan on using it after the Lysol has dried.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #2 
eatmice2010

hi but no
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

I heard that if it is plain, unscented lysol, then you can tinse everything really well and your good to go.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi all,

This thread is almost 3 weeks old.....

A few weeks ago, I did some experimentation on this. I wasn't able to find unscented Lysol, so I used what the store had available. I also used 70% isopropyl alcohol, hot water and vinegar. Here are my results:

- Silk plants: I could never remove the Lysol odor. I tried soaking them in vinegar, and in alcohol. I even tried boiling them and soaking them overnight. The odor remained. (Also, the leaves curled up.) Result: I threw them out.

- Rocks: I did not spray them. I boiled them, and let them soak overnight. I am using them again.

- Homemade rock swim-throughs: (These are rocks, held together with Loctite aquarium-safe Silicone Sealant.) I boiled them, and let them soak overnight. Surprisingly, the silicone remained intact! I am using them again.

- Terracotta pots: I boiled them, and let them soak overnight. I am using them again.

- Acrylic tanks: I sprayed with Lysol. Then rinsed with alcohol, vinegar and hot water. I air dried them outside in the sunlight. I am using them again.

- Thermometer: I sprayed with Lysol. Then rinsed with alcohol, vinegar and hot water. I air dried it outside in the sunlight. I am using it again.

- Silicone suction cups: I boiled them, and let them soak overnight. I am using them again.

- Heater: I could not get rid of the Lysol odor. I rinsed in vinegar, soaked it water, etc. I threw it out.

- PVC pipes: I boiled them, and let them soak overnight. I am using them again.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 01-02-2013 at 11:21 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote