betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #11 
Meggie6347

Oh that's good! I think that's actually the brand I have! Thanks
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I mean Population. Great Salt Lake is bigger than San Fransisco Brine Shrimp.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #13 
Myates

Have to correct here - most pet store bettas are the right age to breed, and there is nothing wrong with breeding them. The only thing different is that you won't know the color background, so the babies will be more of a surprise.

Other then that, they are just fine to breed - as long as they are healthy and you condition them right they are fine. I know many (me included) who have pet store bettas to breed. Unsure why people (who don't breed) keep saying it's not good to use pet store bettas - many people start with them, and many show winning bettas have pet store parents. It's a matter of opinion on whether you want to use it or not, but don't think for a moment there is anything wrong with using them.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Many bettas are past breeding age and have already bred.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

I agree Myates....also, you can only research so much before its time to get your hands dirty or wet....lol....and I have successfully spawned both males and females as old as 4 years of age without any problems with either the breeders or the offspring.....

Look forward to following your spawn log....good luck...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #16 
Meggie6347

Thank you! I am really excited! Unfortunately, some freak thing happened o the female I was going to bring, so I think I will use one of my other females...(she has also been eating brine shrimp, so she would actually be ready whenever)...I just need to get my ten gallon tank back and wait for those micro worms to come in

I will try to post a picture of my male and see what you all think
Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #17 
Meggie6347

This is him: and under the flash of a light he has a really rich blue to him

This picture makes his caudal fin look uneaven at the angle that it's at, but it is not

What do you think? Like I said, I am not going for jaw dropper show bettas, it's just for fun...but I do want your opinions!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I agree Myates....also, you can only research so much before its time to get your hands dirty or wet....lol....and I have successfully spawned both males and females as old as 4 years of age without any problems with either the breeders or the offspring.....

Look forward to following your spawn log....good luck...
Older humans can breed but its not the best.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #19 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I don't see anything wrong with breeding healthy pet store bettas as long as you realize that you could get pretty much anything. That's what I (and pretty much everyone) started with. I do find that old females lack erm... Drive.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #20 
Myates

He's handsome, Meggie :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Many bettas are past breeding age and have already bred.
99.99% of bettas you purchase at pet stores are around 3-6 months of age, haven't been bred (when you have a good breeding pair you tend not to get rid of them, as virgin fish are a pain sometimes >.< (yes, I'm dealing with 2 virgin girls right now..)).. so they are the ideal age to breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I agree a million times.. until you actually start, you really have no ideal sometimes! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Older humans can breed but its not the best.
Bettas are fine to breed after they are older - as long as the betta is healthy and willing, there is no reason not to. I ask that a little more research on your part will help when it comes to facts about breeding.. you don't want to lead people astray when it comes to something that is already hard enough as it is. You have a single betta, that is a lot different than attempting to breed or having been breeding for years.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote