Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #1 
katebug12

One betta, want more fish, what do i do???HELP!!!

I have one Betta and its red it swims around all day and seems pretty content but what would happen if i put more fish in? I mean I know I would have to get a new tank and I'm looking into it but do any other fish go good with betas? I looked every where and it seems no site will answer my question. Would a male Betta and other females get along? I have a one gallon tank witch I know is pitiful but would other kinds of fish get along with a male Betta? I know this is stupid but please post your comments I'm new at the whole fish thing so all comments are helpful....Thanks! :D :) :D
katebug12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #2 
Falina

what size of tank would you be upgrading to?

bettas are very individual when it comes to getting along with other fish but a general "rule" is anything peaceful that wont nip fins or isnt too threatening lookng. by that i mean not too colourful that the betta might see it as a threat so male guppies would be out for example.

fish i have kept with bettas without problems have all been bottom dwellers such as cories, shrimp, otos etc but many people have sucess with some of the more peaceful tetras like glowlights, neons or some small rasboras.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #3 
katebug12

What type?

Well i have no idea what tank size I should get or where I should get it. Any suggestions? But I want some new fish and I want to know what type of fish would be better to get with a male betta a bunch of females or what?
katebug12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:23 AM   #4 
iamntbatman

Definitely don't mix a male with females. You're quite likely to end up with some dead fish if you do that. If you're careful, sometimes you can house female bettas together, but not with a male.

If you're thinking about upgrading to a bigger tank and getting more fish, I suggest getting the biggest tank you can afford/have room for. Bigger tanks are generally easier to maintain because they're more stable than small tanks. They also allow you to keep more fish!

For example, if you got a 29 gallon tank, you could keep some interesting stuff:

-Your betta
-A big school (8-12) of corydoras catfish
-Another big school (a dozen maybe) of peaceful schooling fish like harlequin rasboras

That would make for a really interesting tank. If that's bigger than you've got room for, you could still keep a betta in a ten gallon tank with a small herd of pygmy corydoras.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote