Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #31 
Bluewind

Yes to the disinfecting. And contact universities and research facilities to make sure they wouldn't be interested. If she has something rare, they might be willing to pay for the shipping to get a chance to examine her. And it could also help them catch something if it is something that contamiated a breeding pool.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #32 
bettasareawesome

Yeah I agree with bluewind, if she does unfortunately pass, that way you could now that even though she passed on she possibly helped more fish from whatever she had. But please try to get some meds, I understand if you can't find them or it's to expensive but it will be sad if you have to euthanize her.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #33 
callistra

I couldn't look at your links but your description makes me feel you should either euthanize with clove oil now or treat in the next 24. She may not even
Survive that but she cannot survive this on her own and IMHO should not be left to suffer days, should she even take this long to pass.

I am in NE Kansas. If I am near you I will give you free meds
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #34 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Yes, fish meds are pretty expensive, I agree. And in all reality, 99% of the time all you need to have on hand are AQ salt and epsom salt. Stuff this bad is rare and I honestly am puzzled as to how it got this bad. Somehow her immune system must have crashed and let the bacteria take over.

If you live in a rural area, it will probably cost more to send her into a university for study than either you or they wish to pay. :/

You will probably want to completely disinfect your tank and start your cycle all over again after this.
I am completely baffled, too. She was healthy and strong and active just the night before. So this took me as a big, massive surprise.

Also, I will ring them and see if they would be interested in having her. However, I live in a rural community about an hour or so away from the closest university, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it or not.

How do you suggest I disinfect my tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewind View Post
Yes to the disinfecting. And contact universities and research facilities to make sure they wouldn't be interested. If she has something rare, they might be willing to pay for the shipping to get a chance to examine her. And it could also help them catch something if it is something that contamiated a breeding pool.
Posted via Mobile Device
How do you suggest I disinfect? And I will do that, thank you. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettasareawesome View Post
Yeah I agree with bluewind, if she does unfortunately pass, that way you could now that even though she passed on she possibly helped more fish from whatever she had. But please try to get some meds, I understand if you can't find them or it's to expensive but it will be sad if you have to euthanize her.
It will be but it may be what is best I hope a university would like to have her.
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #35 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I couldn't look at your links but your description makes me feel you should either euthanize with clove oil now or treat in the next 24. She may not even
Survive that but she cannot survive this on her own and IMHO should not be left to suffer days, should she even take this long to pass.

I am in NE Kansas. If I am near you I will give you free meds
That is what I believe. I do not think I should leave her to suffer. I will get the clove oil ready. :(

I am in New Zealand, but I do thank you for your generosity and kindness. Thank you =)
Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #36 
Bluewind

You are gonna need to disinfect in several ways to cover any possible causes. Soaking in a bleach solution for a while. Then, lots of rinsing. Then vinigar water to soak and repeat. Finally, a strong saltwater solution. Between the 3, it should kill whatever is in the tank. You must be careful and do everything you can to kill whatever it is. You don't want to think it is all over, buy another fish, and have it happen again.

Anyone else have any input or ideas on how to disinfect? Do you think she could clean it with dishwashing liquid 1st since it would get so many rinsings?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-02-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #37 
Bluewind

Also, what substrate do you have? And decor? Anything hard can be cleaned, but anything pourus (sp?) should be trashed for safety. They could have absorbed some of the bacteria.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #38 
callistra

So sorry :(

Personally, I would toss everything but tank, thermometer and heater. Filter can also be bleached but no filter material.. just the plastic casing alone. That I would soak in 10% bleach solution for 10-15minutes then rinse like you're losing your mind until no bleach smell remains. then let soak with water and a huge dose of dechlorinator. Rinse some more and let dry out 24 hours before reuse.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #39 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
You are gonna need to disinfect in several ways to cover any possible causes. Soaking in a bleach solution for a while. Then, lots of rinsing. Then vinigar water to soak and repeat. Finally, a strong saltwater solution. Between the 3, it should kill whatever is in the tank. You must be careful and do everything you can to kill whatever it is. You don't want to think it is all over, buy another fish, and have it happen again.

Anyone else have any input or ideas on how to disinfect? Do you think she could clean it with dishwashing liquid 1st since it would get so many rinsings?
Posted via Mobile Device
Can I use normal household bleach? Or would that be too harmful? I have in my household:
  • Turps
  • Ajax Cream cleanser
  • Dettol floor cleaner (disinfectant)
  • bleach
  • dish washing liquid
  • & all of the regular house cleaners: oven cleaner, glass cleaners etc etc..

Quote:
Also, what substrate do you have? And decor? Anything hard can be cleaned, but anything pourus (sp?) should be trashed for safety. They could have absorbed some of the bacteria.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have gravel. I wouldn't mind just biffing that as I actually have a lot of gravel sitting around spare and I was thinking of changing to silicone sand :s Just one little sword decoration (wood) and one plant. I won't mind throwing everything out apart from the heater and thermometer etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
So sorry :(

Personally, I would toss everything but tank, thermometer and heater. Filter can also be bleached but no filter material.. just the plastic casing alone. That I would soak in 10% bleach solution for 10-15minutes then rinse like you're losing your mind until no bleach smell remains. then let soak with water and a huge dose of dechlorinator. Rinse some more and let dry out 24 hours before reuse.

I am going to go get some clove oil off of a friend today and put her down peacefully. She deserves that much. My brave, brave girl.

And I have never had to do this with a tank before so this is a tad confusing for me - is there a certain way I should do the tank? Or just like I am doing the dishes? And rinse it out a lot?

Thank you all xx
Old 01-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #40 
callistra

10% bleach soak filled to the top.. for example in a 10 gallon you use one gallon of bleach and 9 gallons of water. Everything else you can soak in the tank at the same time.

This might be helpful if you've never done it before: http://www.oscarfishlover.com/helpfu...euthanize-fish