Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #1 
SolomonFinch

Acrylic VS. Glass

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere...

I am about to order 3 new tanks for our male bettas. I found an awesome deal on an acrylic kit. (would leave me with some emergency back up filters, too)

It would save us over 60 percent to go with this kit (more if you count what will amount to the safety net of sub prime emergency filters).

So, before I place this order....does anyone have any thoughts or points I may be missing by trying to save money by purchasing acrylic?

the boys do not NEED new tanks immediately, but this was a killer deal that could put an end to my tank buying days. (hopefully)
Thanks!
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #2 
jinxhex

I know acrylic tanks are a lot easier to scratch than glass. Acrylic tanks will also be lighter than glass ones.
jinxhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #3 
MSG

This would totally depend on the make & model of the tank.

Some manufacturers use higher quality materials than others & that will result in a better product that's slightly more resistant to scratches.

Also with KITS, the equipment (filter/light) included in the box can make it a great deal or a complete rip-off.

If the tank kit is a nano style tank, you have EASILY over 100 different kits to choose from.

I used to be pro-acrylic, but no more.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #4 
SolomonFinch

These would be back up filters that are included. I always find a reason to buy a new filter.
I would never do nano. these are 5 gallon.... which I know is a minimum for a male.
I was thinking, as jinxhex, they would be lighter. I had planned on lining them up on our sturdy dresser. I was going to place albums (like, records) in between them so the boys wouldnt be stressed out by seeing one another constantly, and hubby and I could enjoy their company all at once.
So, it was partly aesthetic as well as cost savings as well. The hoods have a punch out for heaters, etc.
It would be their permanent placement. I have tanks everywhere, and I thought this would be the answer to people not thinking they were entering a fish store when they walked through our front door.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #5 
aemaki09

I actually really like acrylic. They do show scratches a lot easier than glass, but as long as you arent too rough with them its no problem.
They are harder to break, and lighter to carry.
And them being acrylic makes the prices a lot cheaper on them. If I were you I'd buy them!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #6 
jinxhex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonFinch View Post
These would be back up filters that are included. I always find a reason to buy a new filter.
I would never do nano. these are 5 gallon.... which I know is a minimum for a male.
I was thinking, as jinxhex, they would be lighter. I had planned on lining them up on our sturdy dresser. I was going to place albums (like, records) in between them so the boys wouldnt be stressed out by seeing one another constantly, and hubby and I could enjoy their company all at once.
So, it was partly aesthetic as well as cost savings as well. The hoods have a punch out for heaters, etc.
It would be their permanent placement. I have tanks everywhere, and I thought this would be the answer to people not thinking they were entering a fish store when they walked through our front door.
That sounds like a really awesome idea, I think the album records would look really cool and unique as dividers!
jinxhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #7 
DiiQue

What kit were you thinking about getting? Like MSG said, some are better than others...
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #8 
babystarz

Acrylic tanks are less brittle than glass, which means they can bend a little bit. This means they are less prone to cracking when moved or exploding when a planted tank has an anaerobic gas pocket burst.

Most kits are really not ideal for bettas though and you will often end up replacing enough parts that the original deal isn't really a deal at all.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 AM   #9 
Bluewind

Honestly, if you don't care how the tanks end up looking, go for the acrylic.

If you do, you have to guard against scratches. Hard orniments. Coarse grave or sand. Instaments that can bump or scratch. All can leave a nice scratch on your tank, so you have to be careful.

The plus side to it is the reduction in weight, so if you have to move them, they will be much lighter. If it is of proper grade, small tanks should not have too much of a risk of exploding.

I have a small acrylic that I once had my fish in. It was a good grade and hard to scratch. One day, my dad had to take care of Gus and while pulling out an orniment that had a dull point on the side, he left a long, promonent scratch right across the middle of one wall. The scratch drove me bonkers! Now I have glass and it has no scratches.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-03-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #10 
SolomonFinch

Again, the filters or lights aren't the reason I am buying the kits LOL
It is because they are 20.00 EACH.
I mean, come on...how can you complain about that pricing?
Even a 5 gallon glass low end kit is at least 10 bux more.
I realize they arent the best filters.
But for 20 dollars and free shipping, I think it sounds pretty reasonable. I was just making sure acrylic wasn'y harmful for the long term life of the fish.
Its a very standard design (no bow front, etc) that I have seen manufactured under many names, for much higher. A lot of this equipment IS made by the same little factory in Timbuktu, slapped with different lables and sold /priced accordingly.
Does acrylic discolor after say, 3 or 4 years?