Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #1 
rubinthebetta

Exclamation How to I install my filter that came with my 2.5 Mini Bow?

I just got a 2.5 Mini Bow tank, and the instructions for installing the filter are horrible. I thought I had it set up, but there's no current and it is incredibly loud. Anybody know how to fix it? I was planning on putting Maggie in tomorrow afternoon. Oh, and I heard people saying that you can adjust the settings of the filter so there's not as much current, but I don't know how.
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #2 
rubinthebetta

Never mind...I loosened the tube and it works perfectly. But I still would like to know how to adjust the flow.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #3 
aemaki09

You want the water level to right under where the outflow is, it should hook onto the side of the minibow and the tab of the filter cartridge bends so you push that down all the way to the bottom. Honestly I'd rather run it without the filter just because I know there's a lot of people that have had the intake tube suck up their betta.
To make the flow less severe your going to want to get some filter floss and shove that into the intake tube, as much as you can get in there
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #4 
aemaki09

Disregaurd the first part of my post! lol
Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #5 
rubinthebetta

Ok! But what is filter floss? Oh, and I read something about a slider to adjust it...
Old 01-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #6 
aemaki09

I havent seen a slider on any of my mini bow filters so IDK about that...
Filter floss is the white stuff that comes around the carbon...you can buy it by itself without any carbon or the plastic that keeps its shape...just shove that in the intake and it'll lessen in&outflow
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #7 
rubinthebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
I havent seen a slider on any of my mini bow filters so IDK about that...
Filter floss is the white stuff that comes around the carbon...you can buy it by itself without any carbon or the plastic that keeps its shape...just shove that in the intake and it'll lessen in&outflow
I think I may have seen it. Sorry about so many questions, I've just never had a filter before. And thanks for all the help!

EDIT: I don't feel much intake though, so I think she'll be alright without filter floss. Plus I don't think I see it.

Last edited by rubinthebetta; 01-02-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #8 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Yea I haven't had any problems with the intake and my oy is pretty small. I don't think there is a flow adjuster on the mini bow filters but you could just put a little plastic bottle baffle if you don't like the output. Oh and you might want to cover the filter pad with something plastic so that no light gets to the pad. Otherwise your filter pad will get SUPER green with algae and it's annoying to clean out.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #9 
rubinthebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoTheLakerBetta View Post
Yea I haven't had any problems with the intake and my oy is pretty small. I don't think there is a flow adjuster on the mini bow filters but you could just put a little plastic bottle baffle if you don't like the output. Oh and you might want to cover the filter pad with something plastic so that no light gets to the pad. Otherwise your filter pad will get SUPER green with algae and it's annoying to clean out.

Ok...by filter pad you mean filter cartridge, right?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #10 
nel3

you can reduce the strength of the filter 2 ways. 1 stuff some AQ sponge into the intake tube to cover the intake grills. it'll help with reducing any possible fin damage. 2 you can use a elastic band to hold some aq sponge on the output of the filter. my VT used the output sponge as a location for a bubble nest when i did use the filter. with this particular setup i never had more than 25% of the filter media soaked by the water from the filter pump but it was calm enough for my betta to gently play in the flow. unfortunately theres no manufacture origin flow adjuster.

the AQ sponge in the intake tube may not pick up the larger debris but its better to have 2mm of play to hold the fins rather than the tube as installed by instructions. i never had issues with fins getting sucked in when i partially blocked the intake tube. i dont use the filter as per personal preference. it does take up some decent swimming space.

Last edited by nel3; 01-02-2013 at 10:21 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter trouble, help please!, new filter