Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #11 
Ezzie

I bought API aquarium salt and am guard that removes the ammonia in the water (the brand is seachem) that was the only product I could find that had anything to do with removing ammonia, I mean its worth a shot. They didnt have pre-dissolved aquarium salt but its better then nothing.

I will do another 100% water change with the salts and the am guard and see how it goes!

Also, happy (almost) new year!
Ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #12 
callistra

Sorry for being confusing.. the salt is a solid. You have to dissolve it first before adding it. Use a little of his tank water in a cup.

AM Guard I haven't ever used to seen anything about.. let us know how it works..

Haha yeah.. I forget what time of year it is O.o you too!

ETA: According to Seachem AmGuard will detoxify ammonia for a full 48 hours. Prime works 24-48. Both are designed to work with a filter, which can them remove the bonded forms.. so if you're not using a carbon activated filter it seems you will have to redose every other day. They say it's safe.. I would worry about the build up myself... but i guess I guess with your water change routine you won't get many doses in before it all gets cleaned out. I know Prime is safe at a 5x dose. I have no idea about AmGuard. I don't know what the ingredients are in AmGuard and SEachem doesn't like to share very well either. It's hard to get ingredients lists for a lot of their products.

Last edited by callistra; 12-30-2012 at 09:23 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #13 
Ezzie

It seems that there are not alot of products within Australia, at least that i could find looking around today, that i see alot of people posting (like Prime, i have never heard of that..)

I know the fish shop would proberly have these things but they are highly over priced and their customer service is beyond terrible, i perfer not to shop with them.

I also bought new food today, Hikari, which is a brand i trust (one of the best i have found, i feed this to my big Oscar fish and its great) betta pellets so we will see how we go cutting down on blood worms to once a week

I will leave the water a little to settle then re-test the ammonia.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #14 
callistra

Hikari used to make a good pellet but they changed their formula and now they're all fish meal and lots and lots of wheat - biggest sweller I've found. Sorry :( I don't know if they'd be better than what you have or not.. First on their ingredients list is now wheat, not even the fish byproduct meal which is second. It also contains MSG which is a nasty filler with all sorts of health problems associated with it.

Try to find something with whole fish being at least the first couple of ingredients. I know NLS can be found in Australia, though I don't know about locally or not.

Last edited by callistra; 12-30-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #15 
Ezzie

It was either that or some sus looking brand Aqua one, i know they make nice tanks and plants but their food was a little iffy looking...

Edit:
I re tested the water and its still .25ppm.. Not sure what else to do but wait and re-test tomorrow and see. but at least its better then .50.. ugh if only he wasnt such a delicate fish!

Last edited by Ezzie; 12-30-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #16 
callistra

Your test kit may measure all ammonia not just free ammonia and so you can get false positives when using Prime so probably with that product too.

I'm sure it's very frustrating but would thank him.. that much ammonia over time will do things to all your bettas. You've gotten yourself an early warning sign that might save the rest of your boys :)
Old 01-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #17 
Ezzie

Good news! I did a random ammonia test today and its at 0ppm! MAYBE little tiny bit more then that but its nothing near .25ppm, which is FANTASTIC!

Now that i finally have the ammonia under control would it be good for Patricks fin regrowth to continue adding the aquarium salts (that i dissolve), the Ammonia lock as well as the Slime coat EVERY time i do a water change OR only when i do the 100% change weekly?

Currently every 2 days i am doing a 50% water change.