Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #3341 
Chard56

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
what is ex factor scaling?

Would you suggest this one instead? its been a tie between the two all day, even though I really am not a fan of paying a transhipper, they both were gorgeous to me
I think this second one is absolutely gorgeous but if you look closely at the scales starting midway between his eye and the dorsal fin They are twice the size as the rest of them and badly misaligned. That is ex-factor scales. Once you introduce the Feathertail/Rosetail/Ex-factor Scaling into a line you may as well use them for anchovies or Oscar food. I had an entire spawn last year that I couldn't (or wouldn't) sell because of their scales being like that.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #3342 
aemaki09

Thanks chard! I've always heard of x-factor scaling but didnt bother to ask what it was.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #3343 
SQUIRT1216

Thanks for the little lesson. I tried to look up this, but could not find a good information on this. Not that I am into breeding or anything, but i just had to look through all of my bettas
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:48 AM   #3344 
Chard56

I had two spawns from this guy but only two males out of 50 and they weren't even close to his magnificence. Then I introduced a Blue and White Butterfly Halfmoon into the line. I'd never heard of ex-factor at the time and never imagined something like that would ruin all that I had worked for on that line.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #3345 
aemaki09

Thanks Chard! Decided against getting the 2 I posted on here. Thanks for talking me out of it!! I really couldnt afford them anyways.

Now to wait for the ones you sent me to arrive, hopefully saturday :D
Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #3346 
PiscinePeacocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
How much does it cost to use Linda as a transhipper? Does she ship priority? Was planning to use Kevin since he is closer, and his prices sound fair, but I might check with Linda too.
I also use and recommend Linda Olson. She is absolutely great with communication which is key, especially if you are a first timer importing because it can feel a little nerve racking. She is very nice and definitely makes you feel at ease. I chose her based on reading other opinions on this though there are other transshippers closer to me. I have stuck with her since. I am sure others are good but I haven't used them personally because I am very happy with Linda's services. Not sure if there is a big difference in pricing.

As far as feather tail and x-factor: it can definitely be a slippery slope. Most especially with the x-factor. There is a good article out there somewhere I read that also had pictures to help identify x-factor fish. It was extremely helpful. Can't recall where. It may have been on the Betty Splendens site. If I remember I will add a link.

Good luck in finding your new Bettas! There are definitely plenty of beauties out there imports and domestic!
PiscinePeacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #3347 
Signature Farms

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiscinePeacocks View Post

As far as feather tail and x-factor: it can definitely be a slippery slope. Most especially with the x-factor. There is a good article out there somewhere I read that also had pictures to help identify x-factor fish. It was extremely helpful. Can't recall where. It may have been on the Betty Splendens site. If I remember I will add a link.
I'd love to see that article if you can find it! I've searched google but get a lot of hits for anything but.
Signature Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #3348 
ravenwinds

Likewise on the article!

I have used one other transhipper, the one out of San Francisco bay area...I only used her once AND do NOT recommend her...think her name is Julie Chan (?)...she might have improved but her communications are NONE and I had to pay the mail person on the spot (which is really annoying and a waste of my time!) Because she did not calculate Express shipping costs correctly...or wanted to increase her $ by $10.

After that, I always tell the breeder that my transhipper is Linda Olson! You can't go wrong with her! I have even had her watch my fish for a week so that I would only pay one Express Ship cost. She is The Best! I wish there was a feedback area for transhippers on aquabid, not just breeder/seller and buyer!

Sometimes, the breeder wants to get your fish to you as fast as possible...so if you don't specify, they'll tell you who's next to receive them...and that's where your fish will go to!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #3349 
aemaki09

Thanks for all the info on transhippers! I was actually talking to the transhipper in FL last night, he said he was done with importing for the winter season unless you paid express, but he had some that he imported himself on AB right now. Took a look and I ended up buying this boy - auction just ended on him. Pretty happy with my choice, could have got one with a better anal, but I'm happy with him.

He's also got 2 females he doesnt have listed on AB yet, so I'm waiting on him to send me pics of them before i make payment in case I want to add those to my shipment.

Cant wait to have this guy home! :)
Old 01-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #3350 
hannah16

I LOVE this male. I think he's so cute. I hope you get a pretty girl to match him.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquabid, beautiful fish, fishy_fishy, i need more money, i need to win the lottery, why do i do this