Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 AM   #1 
Chili Padi
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brunei
Betta Behaviors and characters

Does different bettas have different behaviors and characters like humans? i have 2 male DT and 1 male SDT bettas. The 2 DT are chilled and laidback even when looking at each other and not flaring its gills just playing around,saying that they are both in good healthy condition. As for my SDT he is so aggressive and flares alot whether there is other bettas around or not. Only difference when theres other bettas around is that his gills flare which is normal.

It seems like my 2 DT feels intimidated by the SDT and swims away but at times the DT likes to tease the SDT which makes him more aggressive. So this made me wonder of their characters since not all bettas act the same despite some of them are of the same kind.
Chili Padi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #2 
RoMay
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Oh yes my bettas both have very differnt personalities.

Kaoru- Veiltail but I herd someone call her osmethign else. Absolute pellet hater, will starve herself to death rather then touch a pellet. She's also turned agressive towards me since I tried. Besides her tantriums she's really curious, playful-mischivious, decievingly innocent looking. She also loves to beg for food. She never sits still she is always on the go. If she is still she's eyeing something that intriges her.

Jabi- Crowntail female Loves to hide and keep to her own. She also loves to blow bubbles when no one is around and eats pretty much anything and everything. Jabi won't beg for food she actually is very hesitant to approach the food unless she is very hungry. She's got amazing eye site out of the both of them. She'll sit still and turn her body a bit to watch what you are doing. While she is not agressive at all she's the hardest to catch when it's time to clean the bowl. She also has more dignity about her then kaoru. She'll silently accept being put in a tiny dish for cleaning where as Kaoru will fight and stress out.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #3 
Sparrowhawk
Member
 
Sparrowhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
All three of my bettas have completely different characters.

Falkor, my HM, is extremely active, and likes to do his hyperactive "pay attention to me!" dance an awful lot. He's also terrified of his reflection, but will be all manly when it comes to a background he doesn't like, or when he sees another betta.

Weehawk, my CT, is very inquisitive (all of them are, but he's the most curious of the lot!) and likes to explore everything. He seems to have "little man syndrome", that is, he seems to want to prove he's just as warrior-like as the two bigger guys. He also hates the colour red, so much that I had to remove his thermometer and just take the temperature of the tank several times a day, and when I do, he still attacks the thermometer.

Feyd the VT is the laid-back dude. He explores, just like everyone else, but he seems to just take everything in his stride. If confronted with a mirror, he'll flare, but acts as if he's saying "Don't worry, I got this."

So yes, I do believe they all have different personalities.

Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #4 
eatmice2010
Member
 
eatmice2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Suffolk, Va
Totally
My half moon boy- pearl, would be nice to the other fish in his tank, never would mess with them, until he seen his reflection in his mirror.

But July- my super delta, is nice to the fish at lime, but has dramatic mood swings, He also will flare up wile not showing gill, and he gets very angry about his reflection.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #5 
Chili Padi
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brunei
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMay View Post
Oh yes my bettas both have very differnt personalities.

Kaoru- Veiltail but I herd someone call her osmethign else. Absolute pellet hater, will starve herself to death rather then touch a pellet. She's also turned agressive towards me since I tried. Besides her tantriums she's really curious, playful-mischivious, decievingly innocent looking. She also loves to beg for food. She never sits still she is always on the go. If she is still she's eyeing something that intriges her.

Jabi- Crowntail female Loves to hide and keep to her own. She also loves to blow bubbles when no one is around and eats pretty much anything and everything. Jabi won't beg for food she actually is very hesitant to approach the food unless she is very hungry. She's got amazing eye site out of the both of them. She'll sit still and turn her body a bit to watch what you are doing. While she is not agressive at all she's the hardest to catch when it's time to clean the bowl. She also has more dignity about her then kaoru. She'll silently accept being put in a tiny dish for cleaning where as Kaoru will fight and stress out.
Your CT's (Jabi) behavior sounds alot like one of my DT its weird though that your VT (Kaoru) hates pellets, usually bettas hate flakes. Different taste of food too i guess
Chili Padi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #6 
Chili Padi
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brunei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
All three of my bettas have completely different characters.

Falkor, my HM, is extremely active, and likes to do his hyperactive "pay attention to me!" dance an awful lot. He's also terrified of his reflection, but will be all manly when it comes to a background he doesn't like, or when he sees another betta.

Weehawk, my CT, is very inquisitive (all of them are, but he's the most curious of the lot!) and likes to explore everything. He seems to have "little man syndrome", that is, he seems to want to prove he's just as warrior-like as the two bigger guys. He also hates the colour red, so much that I had to remove his thermometer and just take the temperature of the tank several times a day, and when I do, he still attacks the thermometer.

Feyd the VT is the laid-back dude. He explores, just like everyone else, but he seems to just take everything in his stride. If confronted with a mirror, he'll flare, but acts as if he's saying "Don't worry, I got this."

So yes, I do believe they all have different personalities.

Your HM sounds exactly like my SDT! hyperactive "pay attention to me" "dance with me" flaring most of time enjoying himself but when he meets another betta he goes crazy with gills wide open. he is more manly compared to my other 2 DT's

Your VT sounds like one of my DT, laidback chilled minding his own business. but when he meets another betta he doesnt seem to care again just minding his own business my other DT has a similar character as the other DT but is more curious and loves to pose for the camera
Chili Padi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #7 
Chili Padi
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brunei
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
Totally
My half moon boy- pearl, would be nice to the other fish in his tank, never would mess with them, until he seen his reflection in his mirror.

But July- my super delta, is nice to the fish at lime, but has dramatic mood swings, He also will flare up wile not showing gill, and he gets very angry about his reflection.
Your SDT too has the same behavior as my SDT but, he is not nice to other fishes esp other bettas of course mine is constantly flaring 70% of the time but with company 100% of the time with gills wide open.
Chili Padi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #8 
RoMay
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Padi View Post
Your CT's (Jabi) behavior sounds alot like one of my DT its weird though that your VT (Kaoru) hates pellets, usually bettas hate flakes. Different taste of food too i guess
I think one person summed it up, one bad experiance and it screws it all up. When I got her she was tiny itty bitty lifeless grey thing that was floating. The petstore employees kept feeding her pellets that were to big and she of course became one malnurished betta. She loves anything but and she has her favorites, nori and garlic. Where as Jabi won't touch nori and she'll freeze up if I slip her garlic. Swear at times you can feel your bettas glaring at you by their body language.

I swear Jabi is to nice and timid. Kaoru might be the agressive one but I bet Jabi would be the serial killer in the making. XD
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #9 
Chili Padi
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brunei
I have been observing my 3 bettas everyday since they are new only few days old from when i got them. As i mentioned earlier in this post about each of their behaviors, it'll take time for them to adapt to their new home to be comfortable and a change in their moods.

Ariel has not changed being hyperactive and aggressive most of the time, seems like that's his true character.

Dory is less shy but still as how he was chilled and laidback.

Lily my latest betta 3 days old now is already comfortable and his character is similar to Dory but more curious and a poser.

All 3 are happy and healthy besides little holes on their fins which will be cured. Dory and Lily seems to like each other and never flares their gills towards each other, unlike Ariel. Also i've started to understand their appetite, Dory is a slow eater but Ariel and Lily finishes their food instantly. They were choosy with certain food at first but i trained them to eat the food i got them eventually. Pellets, Flakes, Blood worms

I just feel the need to share my experience with our awesome betta's different personalities
Chili Padi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange behaviors AyalaCookiejar Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 1 12-03-2012 01:25 PM
Strange behaviors... Friendlyfishies Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 4 10-08-2012 04:20 PM
Concerning behaviors of a CT and VT MachinaSoul Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 4 06-08-2012 03:32 AM
Strange/funny/weird Betta behaviors IdahoBetta Betta Chat 38 04-15-2012 01:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.