Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #11 
Skyewillow

Maddybelle, I would've just saved those dishes in case I needed them again, no point in having to buy special dishes if you already have them!

With our guppies, my ACF's are the preferred culling method, but we have to do it within a certain size, or the frogs won't bother. When my needlenose gar broke his back, and when my pineapple betta had a horrible infection and couldn't breathe, I had to freeze, and I HATED it! I wasn't sure how long to leave them in, and I could only imagine how they felt, being so cold. :(
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #12 
Basement Bettas

I have a 10"-11" Oscar so he can handle VERY large fish. But I actually have a friend that rehomes them as a way to be remembered when she cold calls on businesses. Even the deformed ones often get special needs homes. Only real runts and sick go to Trash.. the oscar.

http://youtu.be/D-hwjfM4Eeg
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

The Oscar 's name is Trash? Lol
When I get to Texas I can take in some special needs fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #14 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
The Oscar 's name is Trash? Lol
When I get to Texas I can take in some special needs fish.
Yeah.. when bettas are culled they go in the Trash kinda thing. I get some curved spines and I have a very sweet small one now with only one eye. Going to try to get it a home as not competing well with the sibs. These are brother and sister..

http://youtu.be/5EQxciX3PBI

Some one will adore it and make sure that blind side does not have to worry about other fish. Smaller than these it is about 8-9 weeks now.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #15 
Skyewillow

If my fiance wasn't such a butthead, I would totally take him in! lol
Old 01-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #16 
Skyewillow

Here's my preferred guppy population control
Frankie

Freddie

their names aren't as cool as Trash, but they're still somewhat effective. And thankfully, they're both males, so I won't have to try to control THEIR population!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #17 
Bluewind

I am concidering doing my 1st batch, so all of this is very interesting to me. I know I will have a higher death rate because I wont be able to feed live foods and it will be my 1st time, but that fine for me as I wouldn't be selling them to pet stores anyway, just locals. And a few to give away to friends and family. I might keep a female or 2 for myself though as I'm pretty sure I can sell the males easier. Take some of the business away from that nasty WalMart who sells people half-dead, injured, amonia burned Bettas in itty-bitty cups with 2-3 inches of water (no breeders in my area so no one currently has a choice!).

So how do yall tell when a fry is deformed? I mean discription wise as I can't watch videos on my phone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-10-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Bluewind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #18 
Sena Hansler

It's pretty easy. At 1-2 weeks bent spines are obvious as are swimming problems. 3-4 makes it easier to tell with the eyes and body shape, and after that finnage if you are doing a serious head on cull.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #19 
Skyewillow

I think finnage would be the most difficult to pick out. That's just me though, because I'm still learning finnage types.

I think the easiest thing to do, would be picking out a fish that you like, that you know has good conformation (has a great body, fins, etc) and pretty much take away every one of your offspring that isn't shaped like that fish. It sounds weird, but it might help. Either way, it'll help you to visualize your goal.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #20 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
I think finnage would be the most difficult to pick out. That's just me though, because I'm still learning finnage types.

I think the easiest thing to do, would be picking out a fish that you like, that you know has good conformation (has a great body, fins, etc) and pretty much take away every one of your offspring that isn't shaped like that fish. It sounds weird, but it might help. Either way, it'll help you to visualize your goal.
Eye for finnage when young comes with staring at your fish for days and years on end. My regular lines I can spot the no way/cull pretty early. But I still get them to 8 weeks. If I out cross I wait them out.. as sometimes hard to tell. Round edges and sloping anals don't get better with growth so do get culled early. But the rest I wait for branching and spread..