Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #11 
Kithy

I feed mine NLS three to four pellets in the morning and again at night. I usually go one day without feeding or feeding just once a day.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Personally? No, I don't. I very much so prefer NLS myself for a large number of reasons....lately there really has been a lot of controversy over Omega it seems, though I've also not quite as active on the forum for a bit so I'm still trying to catch up on the finer details addressed around here and do a little research on it all myself.
Yeah I dont trust it either. I would recommend Aqueon betta pellets over omega one. NLS is my favorite too.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #13 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Yeah I dont trust it either. I would recommend Aqueon betta pellets over omega one. NLS is my favorite too.
I don't like Aqueon either really, its okay but not all that great IMO. Too many fillers for my personal liking at least.
NLS is really the best way to go as far as commercial foods if you ask me. I've been hearing things about Atisons as well recently, but I've yet to do any extensive searching myself yet....not enough time at the moment.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #14 
finnfinnfriend

Atisons is supposed to be good. The ingredients don't look all that great, but I'm beginning to think that maybe fillers aren't something to obsess over, as long as the required protein content and vitamins are in it...
Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I'm pretty sure when products list 'whole meat' as their main ingredient it is mostly so people think it is a better product than one that lists 'meat meal'. However, the meal has had its water content removed so you know it is definitely at the top of the ingredient list. The problem with whole meat is that ingredients are usually listed by weight, so it in fact the main meat product should be further down the ingredient list, because most of that weight is made up by water.

I personally feed my betta around 4-6 NLS 1mm pellets once a day. On top of that he gets live blackworms, frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms once or twice a week.

I think the better the source of protein though, the more a betta is to be able to utilise it.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

I recently ordered NLS =D They also come in a variety of sizes, which is very handy if you want a particular size... Apparently Omega has had iffy reviews, and I wouldn't trust anything iffy.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #17 
finnfinnfriend

Sorry to change the subject :P I would start with 5 pellets a day, either all at once or broken into more meals. Feeding them once a day has worked great IME. I have my first betta and it will be a year tomorrow :)

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 01-03-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Nice ;p I find whatever works for you and the betta is best. I feed Ms Piggy (Janey) more than anyone would recommend xD I'd swear she'd be a giant if she were big enough to match her tummy -.-;
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #19 
Myates

Oh jeeze.. lets see.. these are some of my current adult fish food I have right now in my box/freezer.. not counting fry foods such as transitioning foods, cultures, BBS, etc.

Atison's betta pellets
NLS betta pellets
NLS Grow Formula pellets
Omega One Betta Buffet pellets
Black Gold pellets
Grow Pro pellets
Golden Pearls 800-1000
Betta Feast Plus # 1 & #2 (sold at IBC store) flakes

Frozen blood worms

A frozen shrimp/spinach/garlic home made mash
A frozen tilapia fish/garlic/pea home made mash w/ sprinkled vitamins & Black Gold pellets ground into it

Any live foods I can get my hands on...

Those are for my adults :)

For how much I feed? It varies on each fish - but they are fed multiple times a day, small-ish meals per.. I don't count how many they get, but a rough estimate is something along the lines of between 10 - 18 pellets a day depending upon which pellets I am feeding at the time, and how often I am feeding non-pellets that day, how old/big the fish is, what size container they are in, etc.

I mix up my food often, and make up different home made foods when I get bored :) The shrimp mash is OFL's recipe and ALL my fish devour it!

No I have never had any with bloating or constipation, yes their waters are cleaned very frequently, all live in homes ranging from 32oz to 30 gallons :)

Don't follow my lead lol..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

Bwhaha oh Mickey would love 10-18 pellets a day... And he'd be bloated after 5 xD