Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #1 
strangelove

Tiny unidentified stowaways

Hi all,

I have a planted tank that's been going without a betta in it (haha) for a few weeks now. About 2 weeks ago I received new plants from an online site. Everything looked great. Just a couple days ago I started noticing a snail explosion! I knew this could happen so I was not too surprised. However, upon closer examination of the tank, I am also seeing tiny little "things" at the bottom. I don't have experience with this, so I have no idea what they are. I wish I could get a photo but they're really tiny. The best way to describe them is round and opaquey white. They flit around the bottom of the tank, like they're jumping horizontally almost. Does anyone have a clue what they could be? I'm afraid they're parasites or something that can negatively impact my tank? Thanks!!
strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #2 
pittipuppylove

Hm... They could be daphnia. If so, they're harmless and some fish think they make a nice snack :)
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #3 
strangelove

Ah! I looked them up after seeing your suggestion, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's them! Thanks :)
strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #4 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangelove View Post
They flit around the bottom of the tank, like they're jumping horizontally almost. Does anyone have a clue what they could be? I'm afraid they're parasites or something that can negatively impact my tank? Thanks!!
They might be scuds!! I got a scud that hitchhiked in on some of my plants one time and it was the coolest thing to watch in my tank. Its movement was like you describe- flitting around near the bottom and kind of jumping horizontally. Does it look like a tiny shrimp with its tail curled under? Do they ever burrow in between the gravel?
Mine only lived for about a week after I noticed it, but it was so cool.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote