Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #11 
aemaki09

ooh, goodluck with the cories! every morning I wake up to atleast a couple of my stem plants floating at the top lol. they dont care and like to run everything over.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:28 AM   #12 
Bluewind

I can't wait to see a pic! Can't bring up videos on my phone. What does s/he look like?
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 AM   #13 
Fishybitty

Your tank is so cool. Is it custom?
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #14 
MSG

Can't believe you actually did make a video.

Your tank looks really good so far.

The baby isn't THAT small. It's a decent size juvenile probably 2.5cm-3.0cm. As long as the jv-betta doesn't get too nosy around feeding time, it should be fine.
  • As for the floating plants.... just "anchor" the roots to the rocks in the front BEFORE you bury them into the Eco-C. You can figure out which rock is appropriate to use based on the size of the plant & the root system.
  • Once "weighted" the floaters, shouldn't get dislodged again. This is why the places that SELL the plants, put the flexible lead weights on them to keep them neat & tidy.

Whenever I "start out" with a set of plants in a brand new/tank in cycle, I will program the lights to remain on for 14-16 hours/every day for the first 2 weeks, then after that I reduce it to 10-12 hours maybe less depending on the plant growth or algae issues that may pop up.

Any algae outbreak issues can easily be taken care of by introducing a QTed clean up crew of snails/inverts/ottos around week 4-5 of the tank in about 48 hours.

Noticed in the veggie video, the zucchini slice in the Nemo clip is about 6x-8x as THICK as the slices I offer my fish. The thinner the z-slice, the easier the fish can tear off a portion & make use of it as food.

Remove the center portion of the z-slice with the seeds, because they can't EAT it. Save it for yourself or your curious dog.
  • It's always better to feed the fish LESS than TOO MUCH.
  • If there's any blanched veggies left over in the morning, reduce the amount or thin out the slice, blanch it longer.
  • That's why I use paper THIN slices, 10-15 seconds in boiling water & it's done.

Think there's also a onion plant (Crinum thaianum) or aponogeton bulb floating on the surface, that might be dried out/rotten. Check it out.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #15 
carbonxxkidd

Yes, I just bought those apongeton bulbs the other day...3 sank and the other floats. If it floats does that mean it's bad? I wasn't sure if I should toss it or not because it still feels fairly firm.

Thanks for the heads up on the zucchini, I actually stopped putting that in there all together because the bettas ate it all! They've even started eating the pieces of spinach I put in there. The otos still look chubby, so they're eating something, although I've never seen them eat wafers or veggies I've offered. My light period right now is about 11 hours, I've been playing around with it because I'm not sure what's best. I might increase it to 12-13 for now because I kind of want to grow a little algae for the otos!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #16 
Bluewind

I bought some. The sinking first off doesn't mean they're good and floating doesn't mean they're bad. Watch the sinkers for sprouts and then stick them in the substrate sprout side up. Then stand back because boy did mine grow FAST! and my Betta LOVES them because of the leaves on the top of the water. Works great for his bubblenests

Check both floaters and sinkers every once in a while for a bad smell, softness, or white fuzz. That's how you know they're bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #17 
carbonxxkidd

Cool, thanks! I bought some of those lily bulbs too and right now they look like they're growing fuzz. It says they should sprout in 30 days so I'm just going to leave them in there a bit longer to see what happens (they've been in there since the 22nd). The apogenten bulbs are newer, and have only been in the tank like 4 days.

By the way, sorry I missed these comments before - here is a pic of the baby in the breeder box before s/he was released:

There are more pictures of the girls and sorority in my albums.
Also, Fishy, the tank isn't custom. My mom bought it at a LFS over 10 years ago. It's an Oceanic and apparently they don't make them anymore. :(

Last edited by carbonxxkidd; 01-03-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #18 
Bluewind

OMG That is such a pretty baby!

Do you still have the reciet and box from the bubls? They should have a guarentee on them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #19 
carbonxxkidd

Oh, MSG...what's the best way to anchor them to rocks? I've been floating my Bacopa caroliniana and Hygrophilia corymbosa trying to get them to grow roots...no roots so far and a few of the cuttings have started melting more. I just keep cutting off the melted parts and crossing my fingers.

I actually bought a potted wisteria plant last week and discovered yesterday during my water change that the ROOTS are melting off! I cut off the bad parts and tried to replant it and am hoping for the best. I just think stem plants hate me for some reason, lol.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #20 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewind View Post
OMG That is such a pretty baby!

Do you still have the reciet and box from the bubls? They should have a guarentee on them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks! S/he was the healthiest looking baby they had and I just couldn't say no, lol.

I'll have to look for the box/receipt...I'm pretty sure I tossed the ones from the lily bulbs but might still have the apogenten. If not, I'll buy more (if they're duds) and make sure I save the stuff next time, lol.