Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #21 
AyalaCookiejar

So out of water sprite, hornwort, java moss, jungle val, java fern and anubias, the only planted one is jungle val? Is it the only one that can't be trimmed and transferred?
Which ones are floaters and which are stems? Can the floaters also be trimmed/transferred?

Thanks for your help, aemaki! I'm not near as confused, now :p
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #22 
aemaki09

Floaters will divide themselves, they will send a new shoot out and grow a new plant then divide. The only true floater is duckweed, hornwort can be a floater but you can also plant it.
Water sprite And jungle Val can both be planted, but the sprite I a stem plant and propagates by you cutting it, jungle Val will send out runners and make new plants that way.
Java moss java fern and anubias are plants you should tie to hard-scape, but you can get away with planting it as long as only the roots are buried and not the rhizome, which is a stem holding leaves together.
It's really simple once you see them for yourself, I'd go to the pet store and look at what they have there, look for the stick looking plants and the plants that look like they could be potted
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #23 
5150wicd4fish

I'm gonna jump in ;) Aemaki09...am I getting this right that you can grow just about anything with aquarium substrate? You mean gravel? Reason being, I have a sand substrate in a 20g long with anubias,comba and someother plants can't remember haha, and I am struggling to keep some alive, I give liquid ferts 02,, I would like some feed back on maybe trying to add eco-substrate? If should add on top of sand, or risk crash if I tried to re-do tank..Or can I add eco, then another layer of sand??
I have a 60 gallon with same plants, but fish tear it up!! Geesh..

Thanks for any imput...love this post :D
5150wicd4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #24 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150wicd4fish View Post
I'm gonna jump in ;) Aemaki09...am I getting this right that you can grow just about anything with aquarium substrate? You mean gravel? Reason being, I have a sand substrate in a 20g long with anubias,comba and someother plants can't remember haha, and I am struggling to keep some alive, I give liquid ferts 02,, I would like some feed back on maybe trying to add eco-substrate? If should add on top of sand, or risk crash if I tried to re-do tank..Or can I add eco, then another layer of sand??
I have a 60 gallon with same plants, but fish tear it up!! Geesh..

Thanks for any imput...love this post :D

man! I feel like a pro with everyone asking me questions lol
why lighting do you have? Eco substrate is good, you wouldnt have to add any fertilizers for quite a while after adding that, but plants should honestly grow better in sand, well rooted plants, because its easier for them to send shoots out in sand over gravel. It sounds like you are doing everything right, but you didnt mention lighting so that could be the issue.
If you add eco, I'd take as much of the sand out as possible, then lay a layer of sand on top of it if you want. I dont use eco-complete so I dont know much about it, I dont think you'd have any issues with the cycle if you do it fast enough. -- but that might be something you want to ask OFL.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #25 
5150wicd4fish

Thanks for reply :D..my lighting is Aqueon 30" Day light LED (4 watt)..thinking of getting another strip..can add at least two more if take out blue light..
Yeah I was thinking maybe OFL will see this and comment, and yeah I think you qualify :D ..you know your stuff!! I'm way new to this..haven't killed my anubias yet!! Hahaha.
5150wicd4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #26 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150wicd4fish View Post
Thanks for reply :D..my lighting is Aqueon 30" Day light LED (4 watt)..thinking of getting another strip..can add at least two more if take out blue light..
Yeah I was thinking maybe OFL will see this and comment, and yeah I think you qualify :D ..you know your stuff!! I'm way new to this..haven't killed my anubias yet!! Hahaha.

4 watts over a 20 gallon tank? Thats veryyyy low. The 2 watt per gallon rule is a good rule to follow, but if you get t-5 or t-8 you could get away with using like 1watt/gallon. --this is strip lighting. you want your lighting to be a full spectrum 6500k. 5000-10000k works, 6500 is most preferred.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #27 
AyalaCookiejar

I'm at Walmart and I'm not seeing many 10 watt bulbs or any k values! And the fish section only has a 75 watt bulb for reptiles. D:
Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #28 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I'm at Walmart and I'm not seeing many 10 watt bulbs or any k values! And the fish section only has a 75 watt bulb for reptiles. D:

go to the home section you need to check for compact flourescent bulbs
Old 01-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #29 
AyalaCookiejar

Okay I found a pack of 10 watt 6500k fluorescent lights. I don't even know if they will fit my hood lol. We'll see... Walmart always accepts returns. And I think my Walmart is stupid. I found no lightbulbs in the home section and they were completely out of the aquarium bulbs and so was the warehouse.. And they haven't had aquarium thermometers for over a month.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #30 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Okay I found a pack of 10 watt 6500k fluorescent lights. I don't even know if they will fit my hood lol. We'll see... Walmart always accepts returns. And I think my Walmart is stupid. I found no lightbulbs in the home section and they were completely out of the aquarium bulbs and so was the warehouse.. And they haven't had aquarium thermometers for over a month.

thats insane!! Hopefully they fit!!
If not I'd return them and try to find some at home depot or lowes, or you can get those ones at petsmart, they sound perfect, but for me, thats more money than I'm willing to spend!