Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #1 
MisterKO

Is my tank too small and do I have everything I need

I just got a Tetra Halfmoon 1.1gal aquarium and i put two 8 inch fake plants, a thermometer, a mini bette heater, and a tank ornament. I was wondering if i overloaded his aquarium a little too much. He doesn't seem to be struggling getting around his home, but im not really sure if its too crowded. Also i have Tetra BettaSafe Kit, BettaMin Tropical Crisps, Top Fin Water Conditioner, Top Fin Betta Bits, and Top Fin Bloodworms; I was just wondering if i got all that i need or if i need some other stuff that would be beneficial for Avalon.

Thanks
Good Vibes
Attached Images

MisterKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What cute tank...I have never seen that one before and nice looking Betta too. It looks fine to me and you have everything needed that I can tell. Heater and thermometer to maintain/monitor temp-with the goal to maintain temp in the 76-80F range.

IMO/E-a 1gal is fine to keep a Long fin male long term provided that you maintain water quality.

I can't tell if it has a filter or not, however, IMO/E-filters are optional for this species-especially when kept in smaller tanks-since the water movement can sometimes be the cause of fin damage and stress.

I would watch for fin damage due to the plastic plants-sometimes the plastic can snag their delicate fins and cause damage.

Water changes that I recommend on 1gal unfiltered tanks-Twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality-provided that you don't overfeed and remove uneaten food within a reasonable time.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #3 
MisterKO

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post

I can't tell if it has a filter or not, however, IMO/E-filters are optional for this species-especially when kept in smaller tanks-since the water movement can sometimes be the cause of fin damage and stress.

I would watch for fin damage due to the plastic plants-sometimes the plastic can snag their delicate fins and cause damage.

Water changes that I recommend on 1gal unfiltered tanks-Twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality-provided that you don't overfeed and remove uneaten food within a reasonable time.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals.
Thanks so much for the reply
Thank you i saw him and there were like 3 other people in front of me looking and i just went up there and scooped him up instantly. The tank is really nice so far, its awesome cause the light can also be put on the bottom and with the clearish gems the light has a cool affect at night.

I was actually reading your water change post last night. I got Avalon New Years eve and already have done one 100% water change and plan to do a 50% tomorrow.

I do not have a filter due to the tank being too small to fit but i did buy one just in case i upgrade to a 2 gallon tank or so, its a Tetra In-tank Whisper 3i (up to 3 gallons, air pump included) do you know if that would cause any harm?

Also, I have been feeding him the flakes the most cause he seems to have trouble with the bits, it seems his mouth is too small but i do feed him 2-3 bits if he'll take them. Any ideas on what i could do?

Im also new to this and i have no clue what IMO/E means hahah could you inform me?
Good Vibes!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sure-IMO/E...in my opinion/experience and I still have to ask what some of this stuff means myself...lol....

Its hard to say if a Betta will have problems with water movement or not...this can vary for a lot of different reasons. Sometimes it is trial and error. Same for the fish food-sometimes you have to experiment and try different things/methods to find what works best.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #5 
Silverfang

In my opinion/experience.

How long have you had him? Sometimes they take a while to adjust to new food.
For food you want to feed a good pellet with 42% protein, or in that range. Omega one and NLS are both highly recommended.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #6 
mahi

Your tank is not too crowded.

My betta seems to like crowded. He prefers to swim between plants and he seems to like to explore things.
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #7 
MisterKO

HAhahah i see IMO/E makes since i thought it was gonna be some crazy scientific term
ive had him since new years eve the only reason i asked if it was too crowded is i see some of the peoples tanks on here and im impressed and just had to make sure 1.1gal isnt to small.

Also i plan on getting some new fake plants to replace the reddish one, the all green one was more rubbery than plastic so i think it should be fine. I want a big leafy bush like fake plant in there.

And Silverfang the Top Fin Betta Bits i have say 42% but i will for the omega one and NLS cause i see both of those are recomended alot but i never see them at the 2 petsmart stores i go to.

@Mahi thanks Avalon doesnt seem to act constrained i bought the little asian esque tower thing so he would go in there but i have yet to see him use it

Also the tank seems to stay around 75 degrees with the Marina Betta Heater

And one more question Avalon has not flared once he seems to be very dosile i even tried to see if he would when i put a mirror in front of him and he didnt even acknowledge it. He is pretty small, so i was wondering if it comes more with age or not?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #8 
carbonxxkidd

Petsmart has Omega One, but for some reason they don't put it by all the other betta foods (at least not at my store). It's in the fish food isle. Petco carries NLS.

My current 5g with my two bettas is heated at about 76, and I am convinced that my one boy prefers it warmer. He was in a quarantine tank for a week healing up some fin rot (from tail biting) and the tank was at 80 and he built his first bubble nest! I've had him since November and he's never done that before. I ordered a new adjustable heater for the 5g tank so I can get it a little warmer and make him happy. They say the recommended range is 76-82, so you might want to see if you can get him a little warmer.

One of my boys also doesn't flare in a mirror, but constantly does it when he sees his reflection in the tank glass at night. I think it's normal.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #9 
DiiQue

The Whisper 3i will be a little strong for your betta -- even if you put it in a 2g tank. I had it on my 1.5g Tetra tank and I had to baffle it because the water coming out and into the tank pushed my betta down hard. The easiest way to baffle the filter is to stick a piece of aquarium spong into the filter itself (on the side where the water poured out). I also had to adjust the air pump by bending the hose and tieing with a rubber band. I adjusted the air flow by making the "loop" bigger/smaller until I got the perfect amount that still pushed water up the intake but not as much as it would have had I just left the air alone.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #10 
Kwomais

It could just be that he's a little stressed from the move. My Alpha took a whole week to fully flare for me. I started training him to flare by showing him a mirror and putting my finger near the glass & then every time he flared, he got a daphnia. Now, every time I show him my finger, he flares, then heads to the surface of the water lol. But he definitely didn't flare at all for the first few days and as I said, he didn't fully flare for a week.
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, tank, tank and tank care, tank capacity